Space Junk
May 12, 2013 9:56 PM   Subscribe

What's the word for the useless filler reticulations on spaceships? I think it was coined by the model builders of Millennium Falcon or Star Destroyer. --(I'm certain this question has been asked and answered here before. No luck in the FU Google machine. )--Thanks!
posted by at the crossroads to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
posted by pompomtom at 9:59 PM on May 12, 2013 [13 favorites]

I love that there's a word (actually three in the article) for this! Greebles, nurnies and wiggets oh my!

OP and others who like this question - you will like this site I should think, recently posted to the blue: Model Miniatures.
posted by Happy Dave at 11:35 PM on May 12, 2013 [1 favorite]

Another esoteric term from the world of kitbashing that you might find interesting/useful is "aztecing," which involves painting different panels on a model with different colors, to give the ship (or whatever) a more "lived in" appearance, looking as if panels have been damaged or repaired over time.
posted by ShutterBun at 11:48 PM on May 12, 2013

The internal version of greebles can fall under GNDN - a serial number prefix put on the side of many Star Trek technical architecture props (power relays, computer banks, etc). It means 'Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing'.
posted by FatherDagon at 12:05 PM on May 13, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Should I feel hurt that my boyfriend may be going...   |   What to do in Montreal? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.