Why would you publish something like that?
August 29, 2010 4:54 PM   Subscribe

Word filter: What do I call a book that is bound from the top with spiral binding? In the style of a steno pad, but a completed, published book.
posted by EtzHadaat to Writing & Language (11 answers total)
Coil Bound, I think.
posted by doomtop at 4:58 PM on August 29, 2010

Or I guess top edge coil bound? I guess I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.
posted by doomtop at 5:02 PM on August 29, 2010

Flip book.
posted by ifandonlyif at 5:16 PM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

I think you're asking about a type of binding, rather than a type of book. What you are describing could be comb, coil, or wire binding.
posted by Gin and Comics at 5:24 PM on August 29, 2010

Seconding 'Flip Book'.
posted by marsha56 at 5:33 PM on August 29, 2010

My husband the former printer says that there is no specific name. It's just a spiral or coil bound book with the binding across the top.
posted by TooFewShoes at 6:05 PM on August 29, 2010

I've actually heard this called "steno-bound."
posted by runningwithscissors at 7:39 PM on August 29, 2010

If you're talking about the binding it's spiral bound. The edge the binding is on depends which way you hold the book and makes little difference to the binder.
posted by Ookseer at 11:39 PM on August 29, 2010

One of my books was in this format. Looking at old e-mails from the editor, it was just described as "spiral bound at the top."

A flip book is something else: it's the sort where you quickly flip the pages to see animation.
posted by The corpse in the library at 8:57 AM on August 30, 2010

Yeah, I've always heard a "flip book" used to describe something that, as you flip through the pages, an animation is visible.

I'd lean toward just the descriptive "top spiral bound book" or "top coil bound book" in lieu of something more official.
posted by quin at 12:42 PM on August 30, 2010

To expand on my original answer, the publisher I worked at that made these called them flip books regardless if they showed an animation or not. But that just might be them.
posted by ifandonlyif at 4:28 PM on August 30, 2010

« Older What kind of hand-held device would entertain a...   |   Early monring volunteer work Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.