What's the name of that toy?
September 28, 2008 5:50 PM   Subscribe

I was born in 1971. I liked toys that allowed me to build structures when I was growing up: Lincoln Logs, Legos, Erector Sets, etc. But there was one toy my parents bought for me that I've not seen since and cannot find on the Internet, mainly because I can't remember what it was called. I'll try to describe it:

The main pieces were black or dark gray "girders" made out of plastic. You would use the girders to construct a frame for a building, usually a sky scraper as the was the intent, as I remember. There were clear plastic "cards" that had designs to them look like windows. You'd affix these cards to the structure you built with the girders and you'd have a sky scraper. Very cool toy for children interested in building, mechanics, or structures.

Does anyone know the name of that toy? Is it still made? Where can I buy it? Thanks in advance.
posted by ampang701 to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (13 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
Girder and Panel!
posted by neilkod at 5:53 PM on September 28, 2008

Wow, thanks, neilkod!
posted by ampang701 at 5:56 PM on September 28, 2008

Here's a more descriptive link.
posted by neilkod at 5:57 PM on September 28, 2008

I freaking LOVED that toy. Had two sets. So much fun.
posted by asavage at 6:52 PM on September 28, 2008

Whoa. I loved these too. I always remembered them as "Kenstrux" and never was able to find them on the net. Now I know they were actually called Kenstruct.
posted by eschatfische at 7:18 PM on September 28, 2008

Yep. Keep your eye on eBay. I've bought three of these sets in the past 6 months.

And I prefer this site for descriptions/set lists.
posted by Durn Bronzefist at 7:23 PM on September 28, 2008 [1 favorite]

The girders were blue, the bases red. I too loved this toy -- got it for my 9th birthday. Found a set at a garage sale last year and gave it to my nine year old son (he enjoyed it, but not as much I as did!)
posted by rtodd at 7:27 PM on September 28, 2008

Man, before I even read the [more inside], I knew what you were talking about. I loved that set. Thanks for the memories.
posted by MrMoonPie at 7:28 PM on September 28, 2008

Oh, they also make them new, now, though they're not quite like the old, so they may not satisfy the craving if it's a nostalgia thing (as it was with me).
posted by Durn Bronzefist at 7:31 PM on September 28, 2008

I had this too (two sets, at least) and loved it, in the 60's. I never could recall how it was called. I've often wondered why I never see it in toy stores. In the 60's, the Kenner version had the red girders and the bases were green. One kit was for buildings, and the other was for roads and bridges.
posted by Goofyy at 10:52 PM on September 28, 2008

Oh, man, I had this, too. My brother had a set by the same manufacturer that made bridges that would work with matchbox-sized cars.

Is there a law against 41-year-old men playing with these sort of things?
posted by maxwelton at 3:30 AM on September 29, 2008

maxwelton: Hope not, because I certainly would, and I'm older. You should see my Kynex collection!
posted by Goofyy at 7:17 AM on September 29, 2008

I had girders and panels too. What I really wanted was an Erector set, darn it. Or Lincoln Logs. But no, they got me Girders and Panels instead.
posted by Lynsey at 10:14 AM on September 29, 2008

« Older updating my ipone and "notes"   |   Doggy goosebumps Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.