Help me move to the Netherlands!
December 14, 2007 9:27 PM Subscribe
I think I want to move to the Netherlands. Help!
posted by fogster to Travel & Transportation around The Netherlands (12 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite
I'm an American, due to graduate from college this year.
I've recently become very interested in moving to the Netherlands, for various reasons. This would be a 'long-term goal,' not something I plan to do the day I graduate from college in May.
I've been outside the country for two weeks (to Africa), and the only foreign language I speak is a little Spanish from high school. So I have a bit of work to do, obviously.
There's a lot of information, but it's hard to get much useful information. I'm going to ask some specific questions, but what I'm really looking for is references to websites that give useful information to people like me, as opposed to tourists or existing Netherlands residents.
- Immigration: Is it straight-forward?
- Economy: I'm due to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Management. I'm an avid fan of the high-tech world as well. What are the job prospects? Should I expect a standard of living similar to what I have here in the US?
- Language: Obviously, Dutch. I don't want to be the "ugly American" that doesn't learn it, but is English widely spoken?
- Foreigners: Will I be ostracized for being an American expat?
- Sanity: Can anyone here speak from experience on whether I'm a nut for wanting to move to the Netherlands?