novel uses of blockchain tech

What are some interesting new uses of bitcoin's distributed ledger system?

While I don't actually use bitcoin at all and generally see it as a source of entertainment, I do think the underlying tech is really interesting since I find decentralized systems fascinating. I'm familiar with BitMessage, NameCoin, twister and a few others but it's rather difficult to google this stuff since there are hundreds of altcoins that are only minor variations on a theme (I'm not interested as much in changes to the problem solving aspect of the tech). FWIW, what really got me interested in this stuff is actually an old MeFi comment. Postulations on potential uses are also welcome!
posted by p3on to Technology (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Storing links to child pornography.

More things in the blockchain: Hidden surprises in the Bitcoin blockchain and how they are stored: Nelson Mandela, Wikileaks, photos, and Python software
posted by BeerFilter at 7:30 PM on June 24 [1 favorite]

Ethereum is doing really interesting stuff, but it's its own protocol.
posted by empath at 7:37 PM on June 24 [1 favorite]

xbet.io is doing a World Cup betting pool that runs inside the blockchain.
posted by JoeZydeco at 8:21 PM on June 24 [1 favorite]

All great links so far. I feel like I should clarify that I don't exclusively mean bitcoin proper's chain, any protocol that works on the same principle is of interest
posted by p3on at 8:26 PM on June 24

"How monograph uses blockchain technology to verify digital property"
posted by Jack Karaoke at 9:24 PM on June 24 [1 favorite]

« Older I will admit up front that thi...   |  I will be applying to "ed... Newer »