TuneIn Radio App

Recently having trouble with my TuneIn Radio app and some streams (ESPN)

Greetings all -

I should preface this by saying that I listen to podcasts and audio (radio streams) ALL day. I have the TuneIn Radio Pro app and I use it all the time. I have a bunch of Favorites bookmarked, etc, but I listen to a lot of sportstalk radio, esp. ESPN radio and TalkSPORT Live.

On Thursday, June 12th, I was listening to ESPNs coverage of the World Cup and all was well. Later that night, I was listening to TalkSPORT radio. Then on Friday, June 13th, my ESPN Radio Stream AND TalkSPORT Live streams won't work (it says "not supported in my country"). I live in Canada.

I have an iPhone 4 (running iOS6) and an iPad Air (running iOS7) and I get the same result on both devices (so I am pretty sure it isn't the device).

I tried the typical things - killing the app, removing the app, adding it again to my phone, iPad, etc, and still nothing works. I also have the most updated version of TuneIn Radio Pro.

I have emailed them in the past (over other minor issues) and they have taken a LONG time to get back to me.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue (esp. outside of the US). I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I listen to both of these stations a lot, and I am really missing them (esp. during the World Cup).

Can anyone help or offer suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
posted by dbirchum to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I can't answer about ESPN, but talkSPORT is a British radio station and while most of the news, talk and discussion content is available worldwide, some of the commentaries are geoblocked for rights reasons outside the UK.

They do offer certain services overseas, but you might like to try going directly via the player on their website on a computer rather than via the TuneIn app on a phone to make sure you're getting the correct stream - it's likely that they've changed the overseas stream details and TuneIn hasn't updated yet (they are pretty slow to update).

posted by winterhill at 6:37 AM on June 16 [1 favorite]

Thanks for the response winterhill!

Yes, I agree. I know in the past, talkSPORT has blocked me from listening when they are broadcasting Premier League matches, but as soon as the game is over, I can listen to their other coverage.

For example, in the evenings, I like to listen to Extra Time when I go to bed (its their overnight sports talk program). I can't even listen to that anymore (And I know they are not broadcasting games). I just tried it on my PC - I can listen to the feed from their homepage, but can't access it on the TuneIn Radio Pro app (which is an issue as I am not around my PC when I am listening to the world cup games.

Frustrating.
posted by dbirchum at 8:06 AM on June 16

« Older I am usually pretty crafty but...   |  We had a sewage backup - we li... Newer »