Mountain Biking between Santa Barbara & Los Angeles

I'm having brunch in Santa Barbara this weekend, and then driving back to Los Angeles where I live. After brunch I'd like to drive for a while into the wilderness, park my car, and then ride my rigid frame mountain bike on some scenic single track (or fire roads, sure) for a few hours before heading home. Where should I go?

I'm open to all suggestions, but bonus points for rides that aren't too technical. Climbing and downhill are fine, but moderate amounts are preferred. I'd also prefer to stick to trails where mountain biking is specifically allowed.
posted by carsonb to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total)

Big Sycamore Canyon in Newbury Park fits the bill. You can take the canyon all the way down to the coast -- but the area is riddled w/ trails to explore etc.
posted by mrmarley at 3:09 PM on May 30 [1 favorite]

That looks excellent! And the singletrack website looks like a great resource, I'll continue to poke around there.

Other suggestions still appreciated, thanks in advance!
posted by carsonb at 3:51 PM on May 30

I'm just going to tack on here that singletracks.com is the answer to a question I didn't know to ask but should've. It's opening up worlds for me, thank you.
posted by carsonb at 8:34 PM on May 31

Wound up on the Backbone Trail starting from Kanan Dune Road, and it was exactly what I needed for today. Thanks again mrmarley!
posted by carsonb at 7:00 PM on June 1

« Older My husband goes for days at a ...   |  I am a woman who has never, ev... Newer »