Help! My cat has discovered how to turn on the bathroom sink faucet by herself, and she will not be dissuaded. I'm sick of coming home to running water every time I leave the house. Any ideas?
My cat (requisite adorable photo here
) has discovered how to turn on the bathroom faucet by herself. The handles look similar to this
, and somehow she has discovered how to pull them forward (well, only the right side, actually—I'm not sure she realizes that they both do the same thing). I'm sick of coming home to running water every time I leave the house, and this is also causing stress between my roommate and I.
- She has plenty of fresh water to drink, and I recently bought a cat drinking fountain hoping it would fix the problem, with no luck. She likes the fountain, but still goes for the faucet as well.
- She almost always does it while I'm sleeping or when no one is home. It's rare to catch her in the act, so negative reinforcement (e.g. a spray bottle) is difficult.
- She is not easily discouraged by scary/annoying things that would bother other cats (e.g. sticky tape on surfaces, loud noises)
- I have tried covering the handle with things to make it inaccessible to her, but none of them have stayed on. I live with a roommate and we frequently have guests over, so trying to keep it consistent when people need to use the sink has been difficult.
- I have tried shutting the bathroom door, but this is also unsustainable, as people come and go and it's a hassle to make sure it is always shut.
- I rent, so I'd like to avoid replacing the handle or any part of the sink.
- I have tried temporarily shutting the valves under the sink (thinking maybe if no water came out for enough attempts, it would break her of the habit), and this only resulted in damage to the sink that my landlord had to repair (it's old).
I'm thinking the best option would be to have some way of making the handle too difficult for her to pull... but it would need to be something easily reversed and that wouldn't require much thought for the people in the house. Any ideas?