Help me help my disorganized family member
December 24, 2013 5:45 PM Subscribe
I have a close family member who I am somewhat estranged from. But he has some needs that I have the skills to help with, and I want to help. Help me help him.
posted by latkes to Law & Government (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
He has had a traumatic brain injury and also was even before that, in my judgmental estimation, just fairly flakey, and a stoner and ADHD and disorganized and unmotivated.
He's getting older and beginning to develop some health problems. He doesn't work. He was denied SSI and says that he was denied for MediCal (which doesn't make sense to me given the new system - we live in California - but more research is required here.)
He also feels that the doctors in his small community are against him and don't want to provide the care he needs. In my evaluation, I think this is possible because he is somewhat difficult to get information of - gives extremely long tangential answers to every question for example.
I am fairly organized and a health professional, so am pretty well equipped to help him sign up for health care, or to attend doctor's appointments with him, etc.
He is open to my help if somewhat defensive about it.
If he agrees, I will go to be with him for a week or so to help him get the medical care he needs etc, but am trying to figure out what exactly I should be thinking about. For example:
- First steps in appealing the SSI denial
- Getting him signed up for MediCal/and or low-cost insurance through the state exchanges
- Helping make sure he doesn't fall off in the future for failure to fill out the millions of forms and stuff that are required.
- Setting up any support available to get him to appointments etc (case management?)
- Anything else I'm not thinking of
Hope this isn't too disjointed. Thanks,