I'm stuck and not sure how to do life.
December 17, 2013 11:16 PM Subscribe
I am lost on how to proceed with my life/diet. Because #1
- There are many positives to eating strict #2
- There are many negatives to eating strict.
posted by learninguntilidie to Health & Fitness (20 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
Before I say more, I must say this: This site, its users, have been a huge resource for me over the years. Your input has challenged me, encouraged me, and provided me with perspective when I surely needed it! I want to thank you for making a difference in my life!
Back to the question:
This next one is a doozey. And I think I frustrated my last good therapist with it. Here it goes. A few years ago I started reading and learning about nutrition and how it influences the mind and body. I had always struggled with mental problems (ADD, ocd, anxiety, depression) and stomach problems so I became inspired and started making changes to my diet. The thing is, it isn't just gluten or dairy but, several foods that my body finds toxic. And avoiding all these foods causes detox symptoms that last a long time. Eventually the detox stops, but then, slip-ups eventually happen. And then, in order to feel good again, I have to avoid the toxic foods and endure that long, awful detox. The diet along with the detox has put a strain on my relationships namely the one with my significant other. So, I really don't know how to proceed with life. Or, how to think through this.
I did make a positive and negatives list for this:
- Think clearer, remember easier = WORK is easier.
- Control my health easier. ESPECIALLY blood pressure and blood sugar control
- Spiritually, I feel a deeper connection to higher power ... a feeling that i am doing the "right" thing
- Greater empathy and sensitivity to people.
- Don't have that "intoxicated" feeling.
- Digestion improves.
- Moods normalize better
- Less social; creates some distance between people due to not eating the same foods.
- Physical withdrawal and detox takes LONG time which puts burden on relationships.
- Less flexibility in life --- travel and dinner events are difficult with a strict diet.
- Cheating seems to start the cycle all over again = have to be perfect.
- In some ways, life doesn't feel as fun.
- I love food; especially the stuff that feels toxic to my body.