New Zealand Honeymoon: Help Us Plan
August 9, 2013 8:34 AM Subscribe
We're honeymooning in New Zealand in mid-November this year. We have 11.5 days between our flight landing in Auckland on a Monday (early early in the morning), and our flight departing from Christchurch on a Friday (mid-afternoon). Help us plan an itinerary!
posted by aabbbiee to travel & transportation around New Zealand (12 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
We're from the Midwestern US, and we're renting a car.
We'd like to see as much as possible, but we also want to feel like we're taking our time and having a relaxing trip.
For this reason, we're focusing mostly on the North Island and the top half of the South Island.
Things We'd Like To Do (but we're open to alternatives & changes):
- Lots of ocean, lots of mountains (especially craggy, snow-capped mountains!)
- Hobbiton tour in Matamata
- Waitomo glowworms (esp. the Black Labyrinth Tour)
- geothermal activity (both viewing of it and soaking in thermal pools)
- Maori cultural demonstration (haka and music)
- Wellington: Te Papa, cool urban neighborhoods, nightlife
- Kaikoura Whale Watch (by boat)
- Picton or Havelock mail boat tours
- Maruia Springs lodge with onsen
- We are quiet nerds who would love to see lots of nature, science, history, and tech that we can't see at home.
- We aren't into adrenaline rushes. Helicopters are terrifying, and we don't want to add additional airplane rides.
- Boats are fine (though we're not proficient in kayaks or surfing). Trains are cool. We love bicycles and swimming.
- We plan to be prepared for many short tramps and hikes, but we'll probably skip long hikes.
- We love food. I am pescetarian. We don't care much about wine, but we like cocktails.
- We're not into really crowded, touristy stuff. November was selected in part because it is a less popular time to travel.
- My fiance loves music and would like to include a little nightlife. I love to see where people live, work, and shop.
I like to drive and will do the bulk of the driving. My fiance does not want to spend the whole trip in the car, though we want to see a lot! It's unlikely we'll get back to New Zealand again soon (if ever).
So it would be reasonable to do a couple of days of all-day driving, but most days should not exceed 1-5 hours of driving, split up with scenic stops. (By this, I mean place-to-place, highway-type driving.)
Please advise on our choices and help us plan an itinerary!