Kid friendly grown up movies/TV?
July 11, 2013 2:36 AM Subscribe
My 10 and 8 year old daughters adored The Nr. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (the TV series). What other made-for-adults movies or TV could we watch together?
posted by sively to Media & Arts (46 answers total) 34 users marked this as a favorite
My kids would really, really like to watch (together with me) movies or TV series about adults. I guess it's about getting their first glimpses of the grown-up world. But I still want to filter a bit! We watch relatively little TV in general.
Things that are important to me:
- Passing the Bechdel test, preferably with flying colours
- Diversity, no negative stereotyping
- Age-appropriate wrt sexual content (not in itself a taboo subject in our house; make out scenes are fine, actual copulation not)
- Not too bleak, violent or frightening
- I'm not fussy about bad language
- The girls prefer realism to fantasy
Aside from The Nr.1LDA, which ticked all the boxes, we've enjoyed watching e.g. a season of Survivor (the girls were especially fascinated by the social game), some classic adventures such as Back to The Future 1-3, and Penelope and a few other romantic comedies. The girls were e.g. really into No Reservations (!!). I'm a bit reluctant to immerse us too deep into the romcom genre, though. And adventure & superhero stuff tends to be quite male-centric, which frustrates us all.
What else is there? My attempts to google this aren't turning up anything useful.
NB. Not looking for kids' movies/TV that grown ups can also stomach. Those are efficiently marketed to us every day.