What to do with stolen goods?
October 19, 2011 6:23 PM Subscribe
Posting for a family of a friend, but involves past thefts so posting anonymously out of extreme caution. YANML, YANAL, etc. Adult person with mental health issues developed severe shoplifting habit. Intervention has been held. He HAS NOT been caught by police or stores as far as anyone knows. What should be done with the stolen goods?
posted by anonymous to Law & Government (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
- person is resistant to treatment and it may not be possible to get him to return items, also he may not recall where they are from
- no items over $5000, but numerous under $5000
- for various reasons, turning him over to the police is not an option (yet)
- current ideas are detroy/dispose of, or donate (many kids items)
- happy to return them anonymously, where possible, but only if that can be done safely
- person was eclectic in his targets, so if there are different suggestions for, e.g. big box store versus mom-and-pop store, please advise
- FWIW, person is in Ontario, Canada
I've seen previous questions on what to do with people with this problem, but we're specifically looking for what to do with the proceeds.