Durable desk toy for mindless play - I need a desk toy to encourage people to casually drop by, something tactile that is satisfying to twiddle with but doesn't require much thinking.
My preferred style of working involves short, casual chats, with people dropping by my desk to discuss work issues.
To encourage this, I'd like to place something on my desk that encourages people to stop and play while they talk to me. I've had some success in the past with toys (I think it's called a wheel-o
), trophies, small parts
from machinery and fixings (nuts and bolts), but would like something different.
The item should:
- be relatively inexpensive, or free
- be durable, as it's likely to get handled a lot, dropped, and bumped
- weigh a pleasing amount in the hand, preferably metal
- catch the eye, look interesting
- be easy to pick up
- have moving parts
- naturally encourage exploration of the object (e.g. disassembly)
- require little thinking
- be satisfying!
In other words, it should be subconsciously inviting, rather than a glaringly obvious "I've-put-this-here-to-rope-you-in" object.
What do you suggest?