Looking for therapy in Chapel Hill
April 6, 2011 9:36 AM Subscribe
Need a therapist recommendation in Chapel Hill.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My boyfriend is very smart, strong-willed, and averse to therapy in general; however, he thinks that his current depression might warrant therapy. He has been severely depressed for several months.
I think we only have one shot at finding someone good enough for him to work with. His criteria are:
- Someone who is very smart and capable (I'm sure everyone wants this in their therapist, but my boyfriend really is very, very smart and needs someone on his level)
- Someone who will discuss his suicidal ideation with him seriously, without threatening to involuntarily commit him or otherwise do him harm (he had this experience with the only other therapist he went to, which really turned him off of therapy altogether) - this is the most important thing.
- Someone who won't just try to put him on medication for his depression (he doesn't want to take antidepressants)
- Someone who understands absurdism, utilitarianism, and other philosophical schools of thought and will use them in their therapy (I don't know if this is possible, but I think this would be really helpful for him, given his personality and philosophical leanings)
- Someone who offers a sliding scale fee
- Someone who has a warm and pleasant demeanor (I'm thinking a woman would be better for him, but that's not necessary)
- Someone located in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. I don't think he'll be willing to drive out to Durham or Raleigh on a weekly basis.
Thanks very much for your help.