Gotta Be a Way
August 22, 2008 2:38 PM   Subscribe

I want to easily port my cocoa app (osx) to windows. What are my options? Do I have any?
posted by thedoctorpants to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Depends on what OSX features you're using.
posted by hattifattener at 3:29 PM on August 22, 2008

Best answer: Are you aware of GNUstep? There appears to be a Windows version.
posted by harmfulray at 4:55 PM on August 22, 2008 [1 favorite]

Other than some OS X-specific Cocoa UI widgets, are you using any OS X-specific frameworks? (Core Audio, Core Graphics, etc.)
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:20 PM on August 22, 2008

Best answer: The gcc compiler (MinGW on Windows?), and the GNUStep runtime libraries, make Objective-C a viable language on Windows and linux. If you've stuck to relatively portable objective-c, you're in the clear and you might get away with a recompile and a new UI.

However, if you're using any of the OSX frameworks (Core anything, as Blazecock Pileon mentions), you're going to have real trouble porting your program easily.
posted by Netzapper at 7:00 PM on August 22, 2008

Response by poster: Thanks! I am using a couple of core libraries, but I may be able to find alternatives. Last time I checked GNUStep it looked like some of my text system tricks wouldn't work, but it's worth investigating again. Looks like I'll be installing miniGW in my copious free time...

I appreciate the feedback!
posted by thedoctorpants at 5:39 AM on August 23, 2008

« Older How much for Exchange for 500-800 users?   |   college crisis: playing PC games on a mac at... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.