I Need a server carrying the original "Grand Theft Auto"

Anyone know of a server carrying the original Grand Theft Auto and supporting "download resuming"? That last thing doesn't seem to be the case when it comes to the publisher's servers; my download manager always starts from the beginning. Thanks!
posted by kchristidis to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

hmm what exactly is the problem, their server or your download. If their server is the problem I could download it and upload it to another, more reliable server...i'm not sure if it would support download resuming though
posted by bob sarabia at 5:52 PM on September 4, 2004

I'm not a guru when it comes to servers, but I guess it's their server's "fault".

I'm only saying this out of experience; say, in 97 out of 100 downloads through my download manager (FlashGet), I can pause and resume just fine.

But not with this one, I'm afraid.

Anyway, out of experience again, I think that any other server would work; so if anyone knows of another server carrying the game, please let me know.

Or, if you or another kind fellow can upload to the game to somewhere private and let me know about it, that would rock immensely.

posted by kchristidis at 6:02 PM on September 4, 2004

or I could download it and gmail it to you if you're so inclined
posted by bob sarabia at 6:03 PM on September 4, 2004

Unfortunately, Gmail only allows attachments up to 10MB in size.
posted by kchristidis at 6:53 PM on September 4, 2004

The funny thing is that GTA is apparently 328 MB. I would swear the pirated versions from way back when it came out were nowhere near that big.
posted by smackfu at 9:27 PM on September 4, 2004

kchristidis: Can you get a direct URL to the file on Rockstar's servers? If so, grab a (free, GPL'd) copy of wget for Windows. From a command prompt, you can wget [target_url] to start the download and, if/when the connection dies, use wget -c [target_url] to pick up where you left off.
posted by Danelope at 9:27 PM on September 4, 2004

check your email kchristidis
posted by bob sarabia at 10:52 PM on September 4, 2004

Bob, I've thanked you via email, but I need to say a big thanks from this stand too!

Dan, thanks for the tip on wget; I keep hearing about this tool, but never cared to check it until now.

I'm using it as we speak, with the commands you gave me, to download the file Bob has graciously uploaded for me on a private location.

One question though: what do you do when you want to "pause" the download, so you can do another bandwidth-hungry activity, or so you can turn off your PC?

I tried looking it up on the help file, but couldn't find anything helpful.

You just shut down the command prompt window, while wget is running/downloading, and you don't have to worry about anything?
posted by kchristidis at 2:03 PM on September 5, 2004

I could hit Ctrl+C to kill the wget command. It should (stress the "should"; I can't be certain it always does) leave the partially-downloaded file in the same location, which you can then use the -c flag to resume later.
posted by Danelope at 6:38 PM on September 5, 2004

Just closing the command prompt window seems to work (meaning, that if I launch another instance of wget with the -c flag, it resumes the download just fine).

Thanks for the tip though; I'll give it a shot today.
posted by kchristidis at 12:30 PM on September 6, 2004

« Older Which way does water flow on the equator?   |   Help me find out why I'm allergic to certain beers Newer »