"Taalontwikkelingsstoornissen." Gee, where does the stress fall?
July 23, 2008 7:33 PM   Subscribe

Is there an online Dutch dictionary that shows diacritical marks for the pronunciation and stress of the word?

It could be DU-DU, or DU-EN, though I suppose I prefer the latter.
E.g., sites like The Free Dictionary do this for English.

To reiterate, I'm mainly concerned with where the stress falls on words. I'm developing an intuition about some words, but for some I feel like it could go either way. Also, I'd like to be able to double-check to see if a vowel is short or long. Something using IPA, maybe?

I have a paper EN-DU dictionary that has pronunciation guides in IPA, but I'm trying to stave off the need to buy a proper Dutch-English dictionary just yet.
posted by softsantear to Education (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Response by poster: Uh, just to clarify, I meant to say that I want to have a means of looking up where the stress falls on any word, not the word in the header...
posted by softsantear at 7:34 PM on July 23, 2008

Best answer: Van Dale, example.

It might also help your search to use EN-NL rather than DU.
posted by ceri richard at 12:53 AM on July 24, 2008

Response by poster: Thank you! I'd used Van Dale before but for some reason my eyes didn't focus in on the fact that it does provide this feature. Also, I'm not sure why I said "DU" as opposed to "NL." I guess I was thinking in terms writing the question in English.
posted by softsantear at 7:57 AM on July 24, 2008

In case you haven't found the answer to your more specific question, it's the first syllable.
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane at 10:42 AM on July 30, 2008

« Older as far from Shopping Mall State as possible   |   Download/string together Youtube videos? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.