Boxes is a funny word

What can I use for at-home box squats?

I'm trying to do the one-legged squats and one-armed pushups from the Naked Warrior, but I'm having trouble finding "starter" boxes. If you're unfamiliar, these are what you sit on to do a less-than-complete squat. They should also be usable to elevate the pushup.

Ideally these would be stackable, stable on either hard floor or carpet, and sturdy enough to support bodyweight. Maybe two feet across, half a foot deep?

What are these called and where can I get some? Cheap would be best as they're just a temporary crutch.
posted by mad bomber what bombs at midnight to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)

Step stool, chair, cinder blocks, milk crate, upside down trashcan, 5 gallon bucket . . . the list goes on.
posted by milqman at 3:33 AM on July 23, 2008 [1 favorite]

are you talking about a plyo box?

if so check this
plyo box plan in pdf
posted by moochoo at 7:40 AM on July 23, 2008

I always used Aerobic Steps for this. You might need extra risers to get high enough but these were great and support much more weight than you'd think. If this is too long I beleive they make smaller platforms as well.
posted by PFL at 8:29 AM on July 23, 2008

Stairs? This helped me break through with the one legged squats:

The Stair-Step Approach to One-Legged Squats
posted by boba at 8:33 AM on July 23, 2008 [1 favorite]

Why not make some? A few 2x4's, and some plywood ought to do it. Best of all, you get to pick the height and size of each one. All you'll need is $20-$30, and most of a weekend afternoon.
posted by HighTechUnderpants at 11:10 AM on July 23, 2008

« Older She Drove A Yellow Convertible - ?   |   UCLA professional programs Newer »