Who won the Ultimate Noah's Ark challenge?

Where can I find information about the winner of and solution to Mike Wilk's Ultimate Noah's Ark contest? The contest ended in 1995, but there's surprisingly little info on the intrawebs.

I suppose I could just email him via his website, but I read an interview with him where he claimed that he couldn't remember who won his Ultimate Alphabet contest. As a result, I'd rather save emailing him for the last resort.
posted by lord_wolf to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

I had that book! I never figured it out though, even if you don't find the winner, I'd love to know the answer.
posted by missmagenta at 11:10 AM on July 22, 2008

I emailed the author about the solution to the book about a year ago. I suggested that the missing animal was a female human. Here is his response:

Dear nushustu,

Good to hear from you.

Sorry, you're wrong. Many people guessed the missing animal was a human being and yet others that it was a blue shark. The correct answer is a tamandua or lesser anteater. The singular creature can be found in the foreground depicted on the tambourine held by the elephant shrew. There is even a clue. In the left foreground there is an artic fox holding a green placard. He is looking towards the creature with the tambourine and pointing at the lower case (for lesser) letter A (for anteater) in the word 'Faunae'.

I hope this helps.

There are no new picture books planned but I am publishing a fantasy novel for 10 - 13 year olds in October. Mirrorscape is the first of three such books. The others will appear in subsequent years.

Thanks for taking an interest in my work.

I didn't ask him who won the contest. Perhaps I will do just that.
posted by nushustu at 11:12 AM on July 22, 2008

Thanks much, nushustu! I, too, had believed the missing animal was a female human. Because information is so scarce, I'm starting to wonder if anyone won. If you find out who won, could you mefi mail me? Thanks!
posted by lord_wolf at 11:36 AM on July 22, 2008

You know what though? It IS weird that there is absolutely no proof online that anyone actually won those contests. Suspicious even. Wouldn't it be fraud if nobody won?
posted by nushustu at 11:38 AM on July 22, 2008

So I asked the author. Here's his response:

It was so long ago now that I can't remember who won the contest. The publisher would probably know and you might find some archive material via Google.

So I suppose you would probably need to contact the publisher.
posted by nushustu at 7:16 AM on July 23, 2008

« Older You never get a second chance to make a first...   |   Vegas Labor Day Weekend. Newer »