Need ping pong tournament tips

Where can I rent ping pong tables in New Jersey? Any other tips for running a ping pong tournament? More questions inside...

I need to organize a ping pong tournament for my local community. Any idea where I can rent ping pong tables around North Jersey? I'm not finding much on Google. Is there something specific I should be searching for? Also we're going to be having people of all ages in it, probably from 12-70. Any suggestions for splitting people up? Or should we just make brackets and have a final winner?
posted by exhilaration to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (2 answers total)

I'm assuming that you don't know the skill level of everyone, or anyone for that matter. Breaking them up into groups based on age won't really do anything. I mean, who do you expect to be better?

If you're going to split based on groups, have everyone rank their skill level from 1-10 (I'd prefer 12 because it makes adjusting for the inevitable unequal distribution of rankings easier, but 10 is more conventional). Then make equal/roughly equal groups based on everyone's self rating.

If by some miracle I won my group (I'm not very good at all) I would want to try to be the overall winner.

Is there going to be a prize? And if so, are people paying to play? And if so, is this something that will happen on at least a semi-regular basis? Because ping pong tables are easy to mess up, and if you're going to be playing regularly then it would probably be a good investment just to buy your own table(s).
posted by theichibun at 2:15 PM on July 18, 2008

Thanks man, I forwarded your response to the rest of the organizers. We're not having much luck even finding a place that'll rent us tables, so we're exploring different options (maybe borrowing them from a bunch of people?).
posted by exhilaration at 4:41 PM on July 19, 2008

« Older What does (swt) stand for?   |   This Was Spinal Tap Newer »