HELP!! Need to find a website.

HELP ME FIND A WEBSITE??!?! I know his name, how can i find out what domains are registered to his name.

So i know PERSON X owns an internet company, but I have no idea what the web address is. How can I find out what domains are registered to his name?
posted by ss448 to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't believe you can search whois by registrant contact, but even if you could many people use privacy services to keep that info hidden.
posted by sharkfu at 9:05 AM on July 17, 2008

Whois Registrant Search. It will generally cost a little money, and may not turn up everything if the user in question registered through a proxy. The domaintools version will at least show you if there are any results before you have to pay for them.
posted by Partial Law at 9:06 AM on July 17, 2008

People are incredibly vain. If you search for this person's name, it will probably show up on one of his sites. Assuming he uses the same web hosts for all of his sites, you may be able to figure out his other websites from the IP address...

Is there a reason you can't contact this person directly and ask?
posted by Deathalicious at 9:07 AM on July 17, 2008

To answer Deatholicious:

We are competitors, so he is extremely secretive about his biz and I am curious about the site since he raves about it.
posted by ss448 at 9:10 AM on July 17, 2008

[ObviousFilter] It seems like it would show up in a google search at some point, no? Have you tried searching using keywords specific to your industry? Perhaps another rival or related business site mentions his, in a links or client section, maybe?
posted by SuperSquirrel at 10:15 AM on July 17, 2008

So i know PERSON X owns an internet company

Is it a "real" company? You can generally search your state's Secretary of State's database for a business by registered owner.
posted by fogster at 11:41 AM on July 17, 2008

Do you think that he has a lot of his sites on the same server/ip range?

You can look up sites by netblock on netcraft.com - Like Google for example: http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?position=limited&host=e.g.+.google.com then click on the netblock name.
posted by mincus at 6:10 PM on July 17, 2008 [1 favorite]

You can use Maltego Community Edition (free, but limited number of searches per day) to run a series of checks against names, email addresses, etc. Very useful recon tool, Java-based.
posted by jim.christian at 11:17 PM on July 17, 2008

« Older Tonight's dinner was veal. I repeat, veal. The...   |   Help me pack for a long-term trip overseas. Newer »