Does my yoga mat match my yoga pants?

Quick, a good ashtanga or hatha class (meaning fairly vigorous, Level 1/2 or 2?) in New York City, around the Upper West Side . . . or Chelsea . . . or the East Village . . . or Williamsburg, Brooklyn? Around those environs for a couple weeks and need some yoga. Varied class schedules would be great. Light on the YOGA TRENDINESS would also be good.
posted by liketitanic to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The Shala is a great ashtanga studio on 12th and broadway - lots of yoga teachers go there. Take Barabra's class, if you can.

I go to the noon class a few times a week. MeMail if you want to meet there sometime.
posted by shothotbot at 8:09 PM on July 16, 2008

I go to Golden Bridge here in LA - it's awesome and they have a branch in Manhattan, but I don't know the neighborhoods there to tell you if it's near any of the places you mention.
posted by forallmankind at 8:29 PM on July 16, 2008

Seconding The Shala. Barbara sings and plays the harmonium at the start of class and it is nirvana-ly. I think she may be away much this summer, however the other teachers are also excellent (and the classes less crowded).
posted by tingting at 6:39 AM on July 17, 2008

Thanks, all.

MeFites of the future: Yoga to the People is really, really strange.
posted by liketitanic at 8:50 AM on August 9, 2008

« Older Someone just gave me a crappy laptop. Now what?   |   Does America's religious history have a parallel... Newer »