Gmail Invite Expiration

I'm a current GMail user, and I just got my first invite to give away. I know a couple of people who might like one, but I want to contact them before sending it, since I know if they reject it, I don't get it back. My question: How long will the invite sit in my GMail inbox, awaiting dispersement?

The only answer I'm finding by googling is stuff about how long the invitee has to accept...
posted by ArsncHeart to Computers & Internet (25 answers total)

If you send it to yourself you'll get the invite URL, and you can forward that as you see fit.
posted by Flat Feet Pete at 3:21 PM on August 23, 2004

i've had 3 invites sitting in my account for a while now...I think the demand isn't so high anymore.
posted by jacobsee at 3:24 PM on August 23, 2004

Id be happy to accept one. Make that, really happy.
posted by fijiwriter at 3:40 PM on August 23, 2004

Send me your first and last name, fijiwriter, and I'll send you one.
posted by letitrain at 3:51 PM on August 23, 2004

Actually, even if you send an invite to someone else, if they don't pick it up you still have the invitation [with special link] in your sent mail so you can pull it out of there and give it to whomever, once youre sure that your first choice didn't want it. I've had invites that lasted weeks and weeks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, timewise.
posted by jessamyn at 3:55 PM on August 23, 2004

I've had four invites sitting in my account all summer long.
posted by tomorama at 4:20 PM on August 23, 2004

Invite here to give away, let me know if you want it.
posted by shinynewnick at 4:52 PM on August 23, 2004

I'd very happily take one -- my address is in my profile...
posted by weston at 5:36 PM on August 23, 2004

letitrain - my address is in my profile, as I dont see how to reach you. thanks
posted by fijiwriter at 5:42 PM on August 23, 2004

The MeFi/Gmail wiki is still up, too. I've got some invites languishing...
posted by theora55 at 5:43 PM on August 23, 2004

Thanks for the invite, shinynewnick!
posted by azul at 6:50 PM on August 23, 2004

Somewhat related -- after getting a gmail account, how long does it take to start getting invites to give out?
posted by entropy at 7:43 PM on August 23, 2004

I would also love an invite folks...address is in my profile too. Thanks if anyone can come through!
posted by Richat at 8:11 PM on August 23, 2004

If anyone still has an invite it would make a great birthday gift for your's truly (hint, hint... email in profile). TIA!
posted by AstroGuy at 9:09 PM on August 23, 2004

Thanks S.K.! (Couldn't figure out your MeFi username).
posted by AstroGuy at 9:27 PM on August 23, 2004

Next one who posts here who wants an invite can have one from me.
posted by RavinDave at 10:40 PM on August 23, 2004

RavinDave - I'll have one please! brettparker at mail.com
posted by brettski at 2:03 AM on August 24, 2004

Done!
posted by RavinDave at 2:08 AM on August 24, 2004

Response by poster: entropy - I've been using GMail for probably two months, and I just got the first invite a couple days ago. I also got another one this morning.
posted by ArsncHeart at 8:57 AM on August 24, 2004

I'm a little late into the thread, but if anyone would be kindhearted enough to send along an invite, my email is in my profile.

Thanks.
posted by szg8 at 9:23 AM on August 24, 2004

I got piles of them throught June but they've since dried up. Not sure what triggers them or stops them. I'm wondering if they didn't like me doing a blog post where I gave them away to the first askers.
posted by davebug at 10:02 AM on August 24, 2004

Check that, I just got one today, I now notice.
posted by davebug at 10:03 AM on August 24, 2004

Ya I just got one today as well. I sure hope someone at Google is keeping track of the metric they are using so they can reveal it to the world once the beta is over.
posted by Mitheral at 11:35 AM on August 24, 2004

I think they come and go in waves as they're fixing various things, adding server capacity, that sort of thing. No one was getting new ones for a long time, then all of a sudden this week, every gmail user I know has been given 6 of them or so.
posted by jacquilynne at 11:52 AM on August 24, 2004

Well, if anyone of you with the new invites is willing to part with one, I was telling mrs. richat about how I was hoping to land an invite, and now she is asking me to invite her! I explained the process, but thought I would ask again for an invite or two...teuthras at yahoo dot ca! Thanks to anyone who has one to spare.

hoping I don't sound too desperate...
posted by Richat at 8:01 PM on August 24, 2004

« Older Any tools that will let me track keyword...   |   Lifespans in History Newer »