Am I going to have to leave my apartment to see fireworks?

Am I going to be able to see fireworks from my NYC apartment this year?

I live near Battery Park and have a great view of Governor's Island, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. Basically I live in the southernmost building on the island, facing south, so I can see most of the harbor. I know the Macy's fireworks are in the East River, so I won't be able to see them. But does anybody know if there is maybe another display that would be viewable from my apartment?
posted by soonertbone to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)

Official word from the city -- "This year, the Macy's 4th of July fireworks show will include four barges in two locations: the traditional area between 10th and 23rd Streets and near the South Street Seaport. The show starts at approximately 9:00 pm."

Further in the release: "NOTE: Battery Park is not recommended as a viewing site." But, if your apartment/roof is high enough, you may be able to see the fireworks above the seaport.

posted by bah213 at 3:42 PM on July 3, 2008

Response by poster: I know I won't be able to see the Macy's display. But I was wondering if there was some other group or organization that was putting on a different display that might be viewable from the Battery Park area.
posted by soonertbone at 3:46 PM on July 3, 2008

You will miss the Macy's fireworks, but it looks like you'll still be able to see Jersey City's.

"Jersey City Fireworks at 9 p.m., shooting from the barge between Ellis Island and the Terminal Building, giving [Liberty State Park's] South Field the best view."
posted by pokeedog at 4:02 PM on July 3, 2008

That article's actually from 2006, but there will be JC fireworks this year. I think they're setting them off from Liberty State Park rather than the river b/c of some dispute with Macy's or NYC or something, but you should be able to see them from Battery Park.
posted by yarrow at 4:56 PM on July 3, 2008

Per this link (sorry, pdf), the fireworks are at 9. More.
posted by yarrow at 5:02 PM on July 3, 2008

« Older Bike bike bike bike. Help!   |   ethereal sounding software Newer »