Internet Jazz Radio

I'm looking for an internet radio station that plays classic jazz. Mingus, Monk, Fitzgerald, Coltrane, Davis, Armstrong, Ellington, Parker, Gillespie, etc. Any suggestions?
posted by BlueTrain to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Dr. Horner's Classic Jazz Corner sounds like it might fit the bill quite nicely.
posted by boomchicka at 7:30 AM on August 19, 2004

Oh, here's a recent playlist that should give you a good idea of the type of music offered. This really does sound good, I'm eager to give it a listen myself.
posted by boomchicka at 7:34 AM on August 19, 2004

I'd give KNTU's internet stream a listen. They're not classic jazz only, but it's certainly in the playlist. But it's always good.
posted by misterioso at 8:14 AM on August 19, 2004

There's a german station in iTunes' list of net radio station that I've enjoyed. They're big on the classics.
posted by mathowie at 8:42 AM on August 19, 2004

While we're on the subject: anyone know of good sites with listings of streaming radio stations?

I love listening to streams in iTunes but the selection of stations is a bit limited (for example, under "International" there are only 14 stations, and some of those are duplicates because stations offer different bandwidth-sucking levels).
posted by bcwinters at 9:15 AM on August 19, 2004

I really like KPLU
posted by petebest at 9:49 AM on August 19, 2004

If you don't mind installing the vaguely unsettling ChainCast application (it's done me no harm thus far, but still) then Cool FM's internet stream makes some great listening.
posted by Monster_Zero at 10:00 AM on August 19, 2004

Too bad that classic jazz corner has all that Live 365 crap surrounding it.
posted by gottabefunky at 10:01 AM on August 19, 2004

KKJZ has a bebop-only stream (56k live365)
Jazzradio.net might be the German stream mathowie was talking about--they might not be classic enough, though
WEMU-Ypsilanti is a jazz-centered NPR station
Shoutcast might have something you like
(these are all streaming mp3)
posted by mookieproof at 10:13 AM on August 19, 2004

Response by poster: Thanks, folks!

I'm trying boomchicka's recommendation right now, which is fantastic. I will bookmark this thread and try them all over the next week or two (it takes me a few hours/days to get a feel for the station). Thanks again.
posted by BlueTrain at 10:31 AM on August 19, 2004

Regardless of the type of music you like, you should check out http://www.audioscrobbler.com/ and it's sister site http://www.last.fm/ - You download a pluggin for your MP3 player of choice and it listens to what you like to listen to. After a few days of listening to music, it knows what you like. It knows what other people like too, and knows what people like you like. Then via last.fm, it will stream a custom stream just for you of music that other people like you like that you might not have heard yet. It is truly remarkable.

pwb.
posted by pwb503 at 10:40 AM on August 19, 2004

Classic jazz/blues:
KKJZ
WBGO

More adventurous jazz, alernating with classical and other:
WKCR
posted by languagehat at 12:40 PM on August 19, 2004

« Older Energy Independence   |   Searching "Help" Newer »