Window cleaning costing for n00bs

Window cleaning question: how much is reasonable to pay for gutter, soffit and window cleaning for a 3-bedroom Victorian house (UK)?

So there is stuff growing in my guttering, and the windows need cleaning. I don't have the right ladders or the inclination to do this job. I've been quoted £90 - there are 8 windows and guttering front and back (it's a terraced house). Is this reasonable?
posted by altolinguistic to Home & Garden (4 answers total)

So that would be $180 US right? That sounds reasonable by US standards. I was getting $100 for gutters cleaning 20 years ago when I had a summer job working for a home improvements contractor.
posted by COD at 8:10 AM on June 27, 2008

It doesn't sound totally unreasonable - at a guess, three hours' work at the most. If you're in London it's probably a bargain.

Of course, for £90 you could probably buy yourself a ladder and do it all yourself, although you say that's not your thing.

If you want to shop around, look in your local free papers for some of those 'no job too small' people.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 9:32 AM on June 27, 2008

Makes my £7.50 for 6 windows (including a big bay) sound like a bargain! Having said that, guttering is a big job. Doesn't sound hugely unreasonable but definitely shop around - can you ask your neighbours who did theirs?
posted by cardamine at 1:07 PM on June 27, 2008

I pay £6 for 6 windows and £20 for gutters.
posted by emilyw at 2:49 AM on June 30, 2008

« Older Can I downgrade Windows and not lose my liscenses?   |   I like all their pretty songs and I like to sing... Newer »