Can this ring be saved?
June 23, 2008 9:33 AM   Subscribe

Can my unusual eternity band be resized?

I have an unusual wedding band - it's an eternity band (diamonds all the way around) but it's like a vine, with open spaces and curling leaves. It looks very much like this ring. Actually, here is a picture of my ring.

Since having my babies in December, my knuckles are larger and my ring won't fit anymore. It's not so much a question of fat fingers, but bone. So I don't have much hope that it'll fit one day. I'd guess that it needs to be at least a half size larger.

Is there any way to get it resized? Or am I going to have to have it made into another piece of jewelry? (And if so, what?)

Is there any hope that my knuckle will shrink? The babies are six and a half months old now - I'd have thought I'd be back to normal by now. Well, my fingers, anyway.
posted by pyjammy to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total)
A good jeweler can very likely adjust the ring for you, although it will likely cost a fair amount. My ring is also an eternity band -- a more traditional design, but with square diamonds going all the way around and an unusual, antique-y milgrain edge and detailing on the side of the band. I burned my finger, resulting in some scar tissue, and had to have the ring resized -- they were able to take it apart, add a diamond or two, and have it re-engraved. You could definitely see in my ring where the engraving was very slightly warped, but the ring fit perfectly afterward, and most importantly, it was my ring. Not sure where you're located, but I had mine done at a Radcliffe Jewelers in Baltimore. I'd think most decent jewelry stores could tell you if they know of a jewelry designer who does custom work like this.
posted by justonegirl at 9:40 AM on June 23, 2008

It can be resized, but it is much more complicated than resizing a plain band because of the pattern (the jeweler will have to create or find a piece to fit in with or match your unusual band) and the diamonds (they will have to be removed and reset once the new piece is fitted in).
Because of this work, it will cost you.

It can also be made into something else, but short of putting it on a chain for a necklace, you'll still have to have the stones reset, so it will still cost you.
Could you wear the ring on a smaller finger for a few months and wait to see if your fingers go back down?
I'd recommend going to a jeweler, getting an estimate for resizing, and then deciding whether you want to pay that now or wait and see.
posted by rmless at 10:10 AM on June 23, 2008

I am not a jewler , but I have known a couple. Go to a few, especially ones that do serious custom work. Some may even have examples of their work. The price and quality will vary.
posted by piedmont at 12:28 PM on June 23, 2008

I just had some rings made by Maytal Hannah and she does exquisite work, including that fine milgraining. Try sending her an email and asking her opinion. Her prices are very reasonable. She's in LA and used to be a jeweler for Tiffany before branching out on her own.

If you do end up enlarging the ring and your fingers shrink again, you can add a u-shaped sizer inside to help keep it snug without having to go through the whole process of resizing. That's another job for a jeweler, but far less invasive.
posted by Addlepated at 1:10 PM on June 23, 2008

Thanks all! Addlepated, I marked yours as best answer because I contacted Maytal Hannah and she emailed me back a thoughtful response. So thanks for the contact! Even though she can't do the work, she did give me some ideas.
posted by pyjammy at 7:29 AM on June 24, 2008

« Older Songs with the appropriate mush-factor and...   |   Measuring influence: how do political lobbyists or... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.