My Windows Won't Switch alt-tab is

alt - tab no longer an option

How do I get my alt-tab switch between windows shortcut back?
posted by watercarrier to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Hmmm - check what utilities you have running - maybe there is something else that is taking over that key combination.
posted by jkaczor at 9:15 AM on June 22, 2008

Have you tried restarting?

What version of Windows? What happens when you press Alt+Tab? What about Alt+Esc?
posted by grouse at 9:47 AM on June 22, 2008

Because I need to fly through my windows and couldn't wait, I just installed a 3rd party app that will give me the capability of moving fast between the screens. Don't know why this happened. Worked before. Could be a temporary glitch. It's XP alt-esc works ok.
posted by watercarrier at 11:02 AM on June 22, 2008

Oh cool = it's back. Yay.

But hmmm.

Anyway thanks!
posted by watercarrier at 11:03 AM on June 22, 2008

Windows sometimes has a problem with recognizing key combinations when the focus is on an application instead of the desktop.

Or you could check for how clean your keys are.
posted by dhartung at 12:59 PM on June 22, 2008

Keys are clean - it could be a couple of scenarios - but will probably not get to the bottom of..pity really cause I really do like the function. So - gonna call it a glitch and just be happy I got it back...:)
posted by watercarrier at 4:34 PM on June 22, 2008

Sometimes Windows "forgets" a key in a depressed state -- it sees you press the key down but not release it. In this case, Windows may have forgotten to release the Ctrl key and was thinking that it was still pressed down. This would prevent Alt-Tab from working.

To "release" the key, just press and release it again. Don't forget to try both sides.
posted by qvtqht at 7:54 PM on June 23, 2008

« Older My young friends wife (27) is in a coma. How do I...   |   Sunday computer problems..... ahhh yeah. Newer »