Awesome online dogtag recommendation?

Recommendation for a tried and true online dog ID tag merchant?

So I've recently moved and need to update Coya's ID tag. There's precious little chance that she'll get out, but the peace of mind is worth the money to me.

However, she wears a total of 4 tags on her collar: ID tag, rabies vaccination, city license, and the rubbery microchip tag. Ideally, what I'd like is a thin stainless steel tag that has relatively deep engraving. I ordered a tag for her with our previous address on it and after a little bit of wear and tear, it became obvious that the engraving was a bit too shallow and had kind of worn away, making it difficult to read what was on there.

I prefer to have 5 lines available for customization (her name, my name, my phone number, street address, city-state-zip), although 4 is acceptable.

Does anyone have a remarkably badass recommendation?
posted by Ufez Jones to Pets & Animals (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Can't recommend an online line store, but if you tape the tags together, there will be less wear on them.
posted by JujuB at 10:23 AM on June 21, 2008

I've used Boomerang Tags a couple of times, though I have not experimented with or noticed how well it resists the wear you describe.

However, I think you can fit five lines on their medium-large sizes, or maybe even six. You can also engrave the backs! Which I like because my husband and I have different last names and different phone numbers, so his number is on my dog's, in case I don't answer my phone, and vice versa.
posted by librarina at 10:29 AM on June 21, 2008

Seconding Boomerang Tags. I purchased tags for two dogs from the same guy who runs Boomerang 18 years ago back when he has his previous company. The tags lasted through 15 years of my dogs' lifespan and still look great and are completely legible. I recently purchased two more tags (a hanging one and a flat collar tag) for our current pup and the engraving is very deep, especially on the flat tag.
posted by jamaro at 11:02 AM on June 21, 2008

Thirding Boomerang Tags -- in my case, for cats. I really like the flat (non-dangling) kind.
posted by phliar at 12:50 PM on June 21, 2008

Well I guess you don't need anymore recs for Boomerang! I got a plastic one from them and it's not plasticky at all. It feels somehow like a natural material, it's super light, it doesn't make noise, and the engraving is really deep. Even in the smallest size I got three lines on the front and three on the back:

"REWARD"
Dog's name
My first and last name
My cell
My husband's cell
Our work number
posted by HotToddy at 1:06 PM on June 21, 2008

(The material used for my 15+ year and current tags is stainless steel, btw.)
posted by jamaro at 4:26 PM on June 21, 2008

Well, I'll be damned, Boomerang it is, I reckon. Thanks, AskMeFolks.
posted by Ufez Jones at 3:21 PM on June 24, 2008

« Older What has the internet actually replaced?   |   Mechanical transmissions Newer »