June 20, 2008 7:40 PM   Subscribe

The boyfriend proposed, and I said yes. Now what?

I am European, he is not. He is here on a tourist visa. 'Here' being my hometown. So we plan on a simple registered marriage and a weddig in the future.

My question is: I know vaguely that he will have permission to stay on even after his visa ends. But is this equivalent to residency? He needs to fly back to his home country, will he need a visa to enter again? Please point me to a government website or where I can find more info.

Anony cos mom reads Ask and still haven't told her.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (8 answers total)
It would help if you mentioned the countries involved.
posted by dcjd at 8:04 PM on June 20, 2008

You'd need to specify your jurisdiction (more specifically than "EU") for us to offer any advice. Email the mods.
posted by spaceman_spiff at 8:05 PM on June 20, 2008

Call your government. The immigration (or whatever the local equivalent is called) division will be able to provide you with a definitive answer.

posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 9:33 PM on June 20, 2008

If your Mom reads this, I think she will know its you. Or hope that it is at least. Tell her, she's your mom.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 10:01 PM on June 20, 2008

Congratulations on your engagement!

I know vaguely that he will have permission to stay on even after his visa ends

The number one thing you need to keep in mind in this situation is that nothing happens automatically when you get married. He will need to get a new visa in order to have the right to be in your country on the basis of your marriage, and you will need to do government paperwork in order to get it. If you're in the UK you are likely to need a Certificate of Approval from the government before you can even get married. Between that and the fees for getting the new visa, you're likely to be paying several hundred pounds in government fees.

Maybe someone will be able to give more/better advice when we find out what country you're in but the most general thing I would say is that you need to be prepared for a time-consuming and expensive process during which your ability to support yourselves as a couple will be carefully scrutinized. It certainly is possible to get through (my wife and I have done it) and I don't want to scare you, but there's much more to it than just getting married.
posted by tomcooke at 2:25 AM on June 21, 2008

I'm English and newly engaged to an American who is in the UK on a student visa. When we looked into this it was more involved to get married in the UK when my already here, than it is for me to get a Fiance Visa to enter a country where I am not resident. As tomcooke says you would need permission in the UK, and have tp pay, and its likely the same is true in the EU countries as well. Governments seem touchy about potential visa abuse.

Since you mentioned your partner needs to fly back, you should investgate the possibility of applying for a Fiance visa, or equivalent, and then have him return, and re-enter on that once he flies out. You can start that appliation process now, but be warned it might be the case that once he has left he will not be able to re-enter untill hr has the visa.

We are planining on ending up in the US so I don't really know the specifics of doing things the other way, but if its anything like the process that involves it might be quite lengthy and involved but certainly possible (we are looking at a 6-9 month timline, but US visa times are particluarly bad right now).
posted by tallus at 4:27 AM on June 21, 2008

Call your government. The immigration (or whatever the local equivalent is called) division will be able to provide you with a definitive answer.

In the US, this wouldn't be true. The helpline that you can call is a notorious source of actively harmful disinformation.

Better to find the official web page of your country's immigration service. Since you didn't say what country you live in, you should google "name-of-country word-for-immigration-in-your-language" to find it.

The first thing to figure out is whether it's easier to import him as a fiance or as a husband. DO NOT get a quick legal marriage until you know the answer to this.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 7:21 AM on June 21, 2008

VisaJourney is a great place for general immigration issues, but it's very USA centric.

That said, this sort of thing can feel very stressful, scary, and overwhelming. Even if the legal advice might not be fully applicable to you, the emotional support should be comforting. (and I know I've come across non-US visa questions when I was in your shoes)
posted by johnstein at 10:06 AM on June 21, 2008

« Older Have you heard of sandulla?   |   Will I ever enjoy the smells of fine wine? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.