Who sung this song???

I'm trying to find a specific version of the song "P.S. I love you" and it's driving me insane.....

Maybe I'm just really going crazy, but for the past few months, I could swear that I've heard a very melodic, sweet, soft version of the song "P.S. I love you." It's the one with these lyrics:

"Dear, I thought I'd drop a line.
The weather's cool. The folks are fine.
I'm in bed each night at nine.
P.S. I love you."

I've checked Wikipedia and listened to every version that's listed there, but none of those versions are it. Here's what I know from playing the song back in my head about ten trillion times:

- A woman is singing it
- She sounds (to my ears, anyway) close to the voice of Michelle Branch
- It's at a decent pace, not too fast, but not slow, like the version sung in the movie "For The Boys"
- It's not the version on the soundtrack for the movie of the same name
- I *think* that it's relatively recent, as in within the past few years, but I'm not sure. It's definitely got the sound quality and "feel" of being within the past several years (*maybe* as early as the 90's, but I would guess it's in the 0's or 00's or whatever the heck they are)

I've gone through my entire ~120GB music collection and listened to every female artist I have music from. I've searched the web, using Pandora, Skreemr, Google, Youtube, Google Video and more. I wish I could stop thinking about this, but every time I manage to decide that I won't keep wasting time looking, I keep coming back. I really hope it turns out that I've not been going slowly insane the past few months...(though if I have, I can't wait to meet the woman who sung this song, and compliment her on her voice....)

Help me, hive mind, help me!
posted by omnipotentq to Grab Bag (10 answers total)

Oh, and for clarification, the song is *not* slow like the song in that movie, "For The Boys." The song I have stuck in my head is faster than the one in that movie. Sorry if my original line was confusing....
posted by omnipotentq at 4:49 PM on June 18, 2008

Diana Krall and Bette Midler have both recorded it, in addition to Nellie McKay.
posted by iconomy at 4:51 PM on June 18, 2008

Yeah, I got that off of the Wikipedia page, iconomy. None of those versions are it. Thanks, though.
posted by omnipotentq at 5:01 PM on June 18, 2008

Have you tried Kay Starr's version? This page has a link to it on Rhapsody.
posted by cerebus19 at 6:17 PM on June 18, 2008

cerebus19, no, that's not it...it's a bit closer to what I'm looking for, though! The one I heard is faster than that.
posted by omnipotentq at 6:34 PM on June 18, 2008

How about Rosemary Clooney, then?
posted by cerebus19 at 7:03 PM on June 18, 2008

I'm at work, so the site is being blocked by The Man right now, but AllMusic.com is often a really good resource. Type in the song name, it will give you a list of everyone who sung a song with that title. For most songs you can hear a 30 second clip as well. I take it from the lyrics that this is not the Beatles composition, but a different song with the same title?

posted by captnkurt at 5:06 AM on June 19, 2008 [1 favorite]

cerebus19, argh...no, but thanks again!

captnkurt, thanks! I'll try that this morning.

Thanks to all who replied....unless I can find it on the allmusic.com site, I'll probably end up giving up for a week or so until it drive me crazy again (I spent 3 hours last night hunting through Rhapsody and Youtube without luck).
posted by omnipotentq at 6:13 AM on June 19, 2008

Well, since The Starlets' version is not listed on Wikipedia, I'll suppose I can drop that one. It's probably not the one you're looking for since it was recorded in 1960, but there you go. Available on "Early Girls vol. 5" (Ace Records), for instance.
posted by soundofsuburbia at 7:22 AM on June 19, 2008

Nellie McKay?
posted by kirkaracha at 11:54 AM on June 19, 2008

« Older Problem with regex order   |   Help ID this bizarre cable movie Newer »