Make my city a sandbox

SimCity4 question: make my city a sandbox.

So I love simulation games of all sorts... SimCity, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc. It's some fun fantasy stuff--"If I was boss..."

What frustrates me about SimCity4 is that there is no way to have a true 'sandbox' mode. RCT allows a sandbox mode that lets you do whatever you like, unlimited funds, but doesn't count towards scores or whatnot. Is there any way to get this in SC4? Yes, I know all the cheat codes.. but pasting in 'weaknesspays' a few bazillion times is just no fun. All I want to do is play in a sandbox!
posted by dirtynumbangelboy to Grab Bag (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Are you willing to download a mod?

I've used this mod before with success.

Use this if you have Rush Hour installed.

Seriously, there's a "god mode" for most other games like this. I agree with you that Sim City is totally annoying in how it doesn't have one.

Happy city-building!!!
posted by The ____ of Justice at 7:12 AM on June 18, 2008

Incidentally, these mods start you out with a bunch of money. I recommend taking the max amount ($25 million.)

I'm sure there are other mods that will give you unlimited funds, but I haven't tested those personally, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness.
posted by The ____ of Justice at 7:16 AM on June 18, 2008

I look to Game FAQs for things like this. Here's a link to the cheat section for the PC version of SimCity4.
posted by chndrcks at 8:01 AM on June 18, 2008

Thanks, _______ of Justice.

Um, chndrcks... "Yes, I know all the cheat codes.. but pasting in 'weaknesspays' a few bazillion times is just no fun."
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 8:59 AM on June 18, 2008

Try looking on Gamecopyworld. They have trainers for several versions of SimCity4 and I'm betting that a few of those trainers have an unlimited money option.
posted by aGee at 9:06 AM on June 18, 2008

If you don't like mods: This is somewhat time-consuming, but low-density housing can be surprisingly profitable if you restrict lot size to one tile. Build industry and commercial as usual, but have zillions of little single-family houses. Then, once you have lots of money, nuke it and then do whatever.
posted by Zach! at 11:40 AM on June 18, 2008

Go to Simtropolis or better yet, sc4devotion. The amount and quality of user created content is truly astounding, after using the content from these sites it's like playing a completely different (and better) game.
posted by spungfoo at 1:42 PM on June 18, 2008

« Older Should I lie to get a summer job?   |   What is the highest memory capacity of USB flash... Newer »