Can google reader jive with digg?

I use Google Reader from Safari on a Mac to read an RSS feed of Digg.com. When I click a link from the feed, it opens a new window which is the story/article on Digg. I have two questions. 1) Can I make google reader open clicked links in new tabs instead of new windows, and 2) Can I make the link to digg I click from reader go directly to the story that digg links to? confusing enough?

Sorry if that was really confusing. I want to go from picture 1 to picture 3, while skipping the step in picture 2, all while using tabs instead of windows.
posted by alitorbati to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

In Safari's Preferences, under general, set the bottom control "Open link from applications" to "in a new tab in the curent window." Its not enabled by default. As far as your other question goes, I'm not sure-you're following a link to the digg page, not to the page being dugg itself.
posted by neilkod at 4:40 AM on June 16, 2008

Also...hold down the Control (apple) button when clicking a link. This will open the link in a new tab.
posted by Thorzdad at 4:50 AM on June 16, 2008

Thorzad's suggestion should actually say "Command", not Control, but that's a common mistake.

But the "Open links from Applications" preference doesn't affect links called for new windows within Safari; for that, quit Safari, open Terminal, and run this command:
defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true
Fire up Safari after that and you should have your "open in new window" functionality.

As for the Digg article vs. Linked item issue, that's a feed issue. There's no information in the feed, as far as I know, indicating what the article is linking to. You probably want to instead subscribe to a Direct link feed instead of the feeds on Digg proper.
posted by Remy at 5:19 AM on June 16, 2008

Thanks, Remy. I typed that one pre-coffee...
posted by Thorzdad at 5:20 AM on June 16, 2008

Yahoo Pipes can fix your link problem.

This one seems to do what you want.
posted by MasterShake at 10:48 AM on June 16, 2008

Thanks Remy. The direct link feed is perfect. I will try the terminal command, but first I would like to know if there is a way to reset it to what it was.
posted by alitorbati at 6:44 PM on June 16, 2008

It's absolutely possible to back out that config change; just follow the original instructions but with the command changed to false, like this:
defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool false

posted by Remy at 4:04 AM on June 17, 2008

« Older Fear the Firkin!   |   Which Who? Doctor Who DVD recommendations. Newer »