Carnatic music

Carnatic music recommendations?

Recommendations for albums, artists, DVDs, books, etc., would be appreciated.
posted by palet to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

M.S. Subbulakshmi. The Nightingale of India. If you're an eMusic subscriber, they have an unbelievably vast collection of her work. If you're up for browsing, there's lots also at YouTube. "Venkatesha Suprabhatam" is one of her best-known recordings. I'm sure others will have more extensive recommendations...
posted by mykescipark at 11:09 PM on June 15, 2008

You may also wish to check out this thread.
posted by lassie at 5:53 AM on June 16, 2008

Music in South India from the Oxford Global Music series is a worthwhile, readable overview.
posted by umbĂș at 8:10 AM on June 16, 2008

Also, there are a bunch of youtube videos that give you a sample of some of the different instruments:

Mridangam
Ghatam
Moorsing
posted by umbĂș at 8:23 AM on June 16, 2008

Thanks, guys, this was all helpful.

I knew about the mridangam and the ghatam but hadn't seen the moorsing.
posted by palet at 7:23 PM on June 16, 2008

I didn't mention this in the blue thread I linked to above, but as a child, I had the singular honor of simultaneously learning Carnatic music from Dr. M. L. Vasanthakumari, and mridangam from Palghat Mani Iyer. You may hear more of each of them here and here. You can also Google them and come up with other sites, I'm sure. If you enjoy the violin, I would recommend Lalgudi Jayaraman.
posted by lassie at 8:36 PM on June 16, 2008

I meant to also say in my comment above that both MLV and Palghat Mani Iyer were the most gracious artists I've ever known in my life -- talented, extraordinarily sought after in their time, but still willing to take the time to nurture talent (or in my case, a lack of talent) in the young. I still remember going to MLV's house early in the morning for our vocal exercises, and having her urge us to drink a glass of warm water that she had herself mixed with honey and tulsi to strengthen our vocal chords.
posted by lassie at 8:43 PM on June 16, 2008

U 'Mandolin' Srinivas is one of my favourite carnatic artists. Also, here's a link wherein you can find recordings.
posted by dhruva at 9:50 PM on June 16, 2008

« Older Foreign phrases for "overacting"   |   Feedback on tattoo artists in Vancouver? Newer »