Optically perfect glass
June 12, 2008 12:50 PM   Subscribe

Looking for "perfect" glass for artistic purposes.

I am looking for glass that is what I'll call optically perfect. I currently get it from GEPE (www.gepe.com) in the form of slide glass. It is very good, but is limited in size. I would like this same glass in larger dimensions (a few inches) and/or thicker. Can anyone send me in the right direction?
posted by allelopath to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Response by poster: oh and yes, I've contacted GEPE about larger sizes, but no they don't
posted by allelopath at 12:56 PM on June 12, 2008

It's what you'll call optically perfect? Exactly what properties are you looking for, here?
posted by Tomorrowful at 12:59 PM on June 12, 2008

Response by poster: The pieces need to be orthogonal (rectangular or square)
There can be no distortion in light reflecting off of or going thru it.
The edges must be clean.
posted by allelopath at 1:06 PM on June 12, 2008

Fused silica (aka fused quartz) has very nice optical properties. I looks like technical glass products sells plates of it up to 6" x 6".
posted by mr_roboto at 1:35 PM on June 12, 2008

Try McMaster-Carr and search for "borosilicate glass" (aka Pyrex). It's what most microscopy slides are made from -- very clear, very white.
posted by Mapes at 2:38 PM on June 12, 2008

Response by poster: The fused quartz looks nice but is outrageously expensive

I ordered a few samples of borosilicate glass from McMaster-Carr. The glass is nice, but the cutting is really sloppy.
posted by allelopath at 9:56 AM on June 18, 2008

« Older friends dont let friends drive drunk   |   nothing rhymes with "miami" Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.