That's it, I'm moving to Canada!
June 2, 2008 3:24 PM   Subscribe

I'm moving to Canada! Looking for advice about money, finding an apartment, and anything I should take care of before I leave.

I'm moving to Toronto to attend a master's program at U of T. I went to undergrad in my hometown (in the US), so this is really my first time moving anywhere. I'm leaving home next week for another country, then directly to Toronto in late July, so I need to take care of everything at home while I still can. I may be staying in Canada for a few more years or permanently after I finish my degree.

The main thing I was worried about is moving my money up to Canada. U of T requires that I pay them in Canadian funds, but my bank (Bank of America) is stuck in the medieval ages and requires me to be physically present just to order a bank draft in Canadian funds. I've figured it's probably best to open a bank account when I get to Canada and move the money over to avoid this, but I'm worried they'll want me to be physically present to make the transfer.

The U of T student pamphlet suggests asking my bank to transfer money to a Canadian bank, which would hold it for me until I could get to Toronto and open an account, but I'm a bit skeptical of this. What's the best way of moving the money over - should I just write myself a check after I get to Canada? Is there any way to do this without getting screwed by the bank's exchange rate? And can anyone recommend a Canadian bank with low fees for students? Is it better to get a Canadian credit card, or can I just keep using my US card?

I don't have any place in Toronto lined up, so I'm thinking of staying in a hostel or the university temporary accommodation while I go apartment hunting. I'd appreciate any recommendations for where to stay. I've looked at the U of T apartment listings; what are some other good websites to look for apartments? Any neighborhoods I should look for/avoid, or any tips about Toronto apartment hunting in general?

Finally, is there anything else I should be aware of with regards to moving, visa, etc? Thanks so much.
posted by pravit to Travel & Transportation around Canada (35 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Web sites for apartments are limited: and are the most thorough.

As for which neighborhood is best, that depends on what you want to do with your free time and what your budget is.
posted by dobbs at 3:40 PM on June 2, 2008

Response by poster: Budget: Two relatively poor students (me and girlfriend). We were thinking around $1000/month but we could probably go a bit higher if we had to. Ideally, within walking distance of U of T or the TTC.
Free time: Don't plan on having a lot, but we like eating international food.

posted by pravit at 3:52 PM on June 2, 2008

Bachelor/studio apartments start at $600 here, and $1200 is relatively standard for a 2 bedroom apartment around U of T. $1000 is a pretty decent target, considering electricity and water may be extra.

If I were you, I'd try to find an apartment in 'the Annex', which quite close to the University, but there are lots of nice places to live that wouldn't leave you with too much of a commute.

Anywhere within walking distance (or a brief walk + streetcar/subway trip) of the University will have decent access to plenty of variety in restaurants.
posted by onshi at 4:03 PM on June 2, 2008

Craigslist is likely the best source for finding a place (I've found two that way - and there are a bunch of extra vacancies in the summer). Depending on how nice your place is, $1000 may be tough (I'm paying $1750 for a 2 bedroom in an action-filled area; 1 bedroom condos rent out for between $1200 and $1500 around OCAD for a nice place so say my friends).

For walking distance around UofT, there is the Annex which is frequented by many university types, or there is the OCAD/AGO area which is also a quick walk but has more personality in my opinion. A few of my friends stayed in Grad House and it's a pretty drab and depressing place. You can do better on your own.

While this is totally unhelpful, I know there is a US bank which has a direct relationship with a Canadian bank, though for the life of me I can't tell you which banks they were (bank of america and cibc?). I had a close friend studying here from America and did her financing this way with constant transfers and cheap exchange rates, and it was relatively little hassle. If you can't figure it out on your own, I can ask her, though she is in Europe right now.

Most importantly, when you get into the city jot me a note. My girlfriend and I'll give you and the city the proper introduction you deserve.
posted by evadery at 4:07 PM on June 2, 2008

Check out President's Choice banking; IIRC they tend to be pretty good. If you will have a car (which I would probably recommend against since Ontario car insurance is insane) PC also is good for car insurance. Other options are: RBC, TD, Scotiabank. Canada has only a few, large banks, it does not have the equivalent of the US local banks (First Farmer's Bank of Michigan, eg), so you'll be dealing with a big company unless you get an account with a credit union.

I was not able to open a Canadian account without an SIN (Social Insurance Number, equivalent of SSN in US), which I wasn't able to get until a couple weeks after crossing the border. Hassle. (I was not a student, so your situation might be different. Talk to the U of T international student office to see what they recommend.)

It was tricky to get a Canadian credit card with no existing Canadian credit history. Again the situation might be different for a student. I eventually had to get a "secured" card with a low credit limit from my bank in Canada; they don't just hand out credit cards like they do in the US. So I would definitely hang on to your US credit card for the duration of the time you're in Canada -- doing so will extend your US credit history, and make it easier to do things like order Christmas presents for US family from US sites. (Shipping across the border is a huge pain in the ass, adds a bunch of expense.)

People in Canada rarely use credit cards, but use their debit/"Interac" cards for everything. You will be able to get one of these with no problem from whatever bank you choose.

It is common in Canada for landlords to ask for all the year's rent checks up front, postdated by month. This is not done in the US but it is done in Canada.

Check out Ontario tenant law, which is very favorable to the tenant, before apartment hunting (it's pretty easy to find online).

Coming across the border if you are bringing household stuff you should plan to have a list of everything in the truck that you can present. (Eg 2 boxes kitchen goods, 3 boxes books, etc) I believe you will not need to pay import taxes on it all if you promise to take it all back out again (ie, rather than selling it in Canada). Check with the U of T international office about this, and read up on the immigration website. Again, check what you need to do if you're bringing a car in -- it may need extra inspections etc.
posted by LobsterMitten at 4:23 PM on June 2, 2008

"People in Canada rarely use credit cards, but use their debit/"Interac" cards for everything. You will be able to get one of these with no problem from whatever bank you choose."

We certainly out-Interac Americans, and it's all relative, but to say we rarely use credit cards is an exaggeration. 'Interac', btw, refers to the netwprl by which you can use your debit card to withrdaw funds from your bank account at any ATM (not just your own bank's) for a fee. The fee is usually $1.50, though your own bank may tack an additional $1.50 on top of that.

For official answers regarding tenant law, look here.
posted by onshi at 4:34 PM on June 2, 2008

If you use your US credit card in Canada you may be charged a fee per transaction (since they are in effect serving as a money changer for you), and you will need to pay the bill in US funds. I would be inclined to keep a small US bank account open so that you can pay incidental expenses in US $ when needed, but I would try to get a Canadian credit card for use in Canada.

President's Choice
TC Canada Trust

Wikipedia has a list of banks in Canada which lists some minor banks and also US banks with operations in Canada.
posted by LobsterMitten at 4:34 PM on June 2, 2008

wow. netwprl = network!
posted by onshi at 4:34 PM on June 2, 2008

onshi, I suppose I just meant to play up the contrast.
In my experience in the US, the default way to pay for groceries, gasoline, the odd purchase at a shop is by credit card, whereas in Canada those would be more typically paid for by debit. In the US not having a credit card is a serious obstacle to living normal adult life; in Canada it did not seem to be that way at all.
posted by LobsterMitten at 4:38 PM on June 2, 2008

The way debit cards took off here in the 90s probably forestalled the everyday use of credit cards here for a while, it's true. Most likely this was made possible by the banking oligopoly, with so few banks it was pretty trivial to set up a universal network of ATMs and in-store debit machines. Today, consumerism being what it is, Canadians seem to be doing their best to catch up to our southern neighbours where credit card debt is concerned.
posted by onshi at 4:46 PM on June 2, 2008

It is common in Canada for landlords to ask for all the year's rent checks up front, postdated by month. This is not done in the US but it is done in Canada.

Landlords can suggest it, and tenants can choose to do so out of convenience, but (pdf - emphasis mine):

"Although the landlord and tenant can agree that the rent will be paid by postdated cheques or automatic payments (such as debits from a tenant’s account or by credit card), a landlord cannot require the tenant to pay by either of these methods."
posted by CKmtl at 4:52 PM on June 2, 2008

What's the best way of moving the money over - should I just write myself a check after I get to Canada?

Do *not* do this. The Canadian bank will almost certainly hold your cheque for 3-4 weeks, making the funds completely inaccessible. I still haven't figured out a good way to move money from a US bank to a Canadian bank. Carrying a ton of cash is a bit scary, personal/cashier's cheques are subject to a hold ... maybe traveler's cheques? I learned about the cashier's cheque thing the hard way and ended up just making maximized ATM withdrawals every day for about a week. I'd withdraw the cash from my US bank and then deposit the money straight back into my new Canadian account. It was pretty lame, but it worked.

And can anyone recommend a Canadian bank with low fees for students?

Find a credit union if you can. I'm painfully spoiled on Vancity, so hopefully there's a similar institution in Toronto. If not, TD Canada Trust wasn't absolutely terrible when I was with them. They do have a decent student account and good hours.

Is it better to get a Canadian credit card, or can I just keep using my US card?

As some folks upthread have said, you'll probably be using your debit card (Interac) a lot. If you do plan on staying in Canada, I would get a credit card and use it occasionally to start building some credit history. And definitely do keep your US account open.

It was tricky to get a Canadian credit card with no existing Canadian credit history. Again the situation might be different for a student. I eventually had to get a "secured" card with a low credit limit from my bank in Canada; they don't just hand out credit cards like they do in the US.

I moved from the States to Canada in the fall of '05 and I was able to get a credit card with TD Canada Trust the day I signed up my account. It had a pretty low limit ($500 or so), but they didn't give me any hassle about it. As always, YMMV.
posted by Nelsormensch at 4:55 PM on June 2, 2008

Moving money across the border can be a pain. If you aren't in need of the funds right away, then a cheque will be fine (check with your bank, but you'll probably be waiting at least a month to get at the money) with living expenses in cash. If you anticipate transferring money across the border frequently, then you might want to look into Royal Bank, which has a US subsidiary called RBC Centura. You can open accounts at both banks and then move your money easily. Also, if you are transferring a bunch of money at once ($10,000+) then it might be worthwhile to ask your bank if they will give you a better exchange rate.
posted by ssg at 5:21 PM on June 2, 2008 [1 favorite]

I also went to grad school in Toronto after completing undergrad in the US.

I honestly wouldn't count on being able to get a Canadian credit card without a Social Insurance Number (and for that, you'll need some sort of status a little more permanent than a study permit). I wasn't able to anyway - maybe some of the folks upthread have different experiences though. In any event, my US credit card and debit card (the mastercard check card kind) both worked in Canada with no extra fees.

You will probably be able to get a checking account (they say "chequing") - I'd recommend Royal Bank, because you can open an account with their American branch, RBC Centura, and link the two accounts, making obtaining/paying your student loans and other bills on both sides of the border much easier than it would be otherwise.

(And speaking of student loans, you probably won't qualify for OSAP - Ontario's subsidized student loans - or most bursaries through the school. You probably knew that though.)

I've actually lived in U of T's residence, it's not bad. I'd recommend it since they're pretty flexible about short-term stays. U of T is in a great neighbourhood too - Toronto isn't exactly cheap to live in anywhere, but Kensington Market rules and is probably as affordable as anywhere else you'd find downtown. The Annex is a little more expensive but very nice as well.

The work restrictions on study permits suck. They recently lifted them a little so that students of Toronto schools can work off-campus, but there are still limits to the hours and kind of work you can do. If you were planning on working (or if you're in a program where paid internships are common) you'll want to investigate this before you go.

The TTC (subway/buses/streetcar) isn't 24 hours. I learned that the hard way. (On the other hand, owning a car downtown is probably more trouble than it's worth.)

I realize I sound kind of down on Toronto and that's not my intent at all - U of T is a great institution in an awesome city, and the tuition is a bargain compared to US schools. I know from experience it can be kind of overwhelming at first though, so it's better to know this stuff up front.

Feel free to message/e-mail me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help a (soon-to-be) fellow ex-pat out.
posted by AV at 5:22 PM on June 2, 2008

The first thing you should do upon arrival is to get your social security number. It will take a couple of weeks to receive the card but you get the number right away. With that number you can then open a bank account.

I don't know about the other banks but RBC will accept your checks in US Dollars coming from your US bank. You do need to physically be at the bank (the Canadian one obviously) to process the check and the funds will be bocked for about 2 weeks. Be careful, Canadian banks are not usually open on Saturday or late at night, mine is actually open only from 10 am to 4 pm from Monday to Friday.

One other thing you should get quickly is your Health Insurance Card. I don't know about US Citizen, but as a non Canadian you may have a delay before the coverage kicks in (it is 3 months for me) so no need to wait.

As others have mentioned, you are starting fresh with no credit history, so you will be able to get a Credit card, but it's going to be a basic one. Same thing for a cell phone plan, you will probably have to give a deposit (it was 50 Dollars for me).

Overall, at least here in Montreal, things went pretty smoothly. I was able to get my social security number, open a bank account and process a check, do the paperwork for the health insurance card and get a cell phone subscription in less than a day so you should have to worry too much.
posted by McSly at 5:23 PM on June 2, 2008

First of all, when you come to Canada, you want to have a list of everything you are bringing with you, just in case you want to return home without paying duty. Just the big things, like a computer, car, furniture.

Also, try to get a letter saying that you will be in school two years. They'll try to give you a one year visa, which means you'll be out another hundred dollars next year. (Don't say you might be staying, either. I'm sure you knew that, but still).

The real difference here with banks is that people hardly ever write cheques, certainly not at the grocery store, on often only for paying rent. Keep this in mind when you choose a banking plan.

I would suggest you actually go with a bigger bank since they can help you get a credit card. Paying bills here is way easier here if you do it online through your bank. I think you can do this at a credit union, but check.

I hear good things about Lowblaws (it's actually a grocery chain), but Royal Bank (and I think TD and CIBC) have relations with American banks. All the charter banks are vaguely evil and hugely profitable, but competent. RBC/Royal Bank has an affiliate in the us, Centura. If you open an account with them, and this will make transfers easier.

You can make a deposit from your American bank, and generally, they don't have a problem with bank drafts. But you frequently get contradictory rules from tellers.

Give yourself a few days to get around U. of T. It's kind of a headache, and they aren't great on explaining things to Visa Students. Big must: the graduate student union has a really great pub and decent food.

Welcome. I didn't love Toronto at first, but I've come to really love living here. Hope you do, too.
posted by gesamtkunstwerk at 5:38 PM on June 2, 2008

You can get a Social Insurance Number only if you have an employment contract. (Speaking of which, it seems you can easily get an off-campus work permit that only has a 20 hour/week restriction.)

As far as I can tell, Capital One's credit cards do not have any currency conversion fees, so having one of these may not be a bad idea. (I get by here with Interac and an American credit card.)
posted by parudox at 6:48 PM on June 2, 2008

Yay, U of T! I'm a current undergrad living and studying on campus downtown.

Apartments close to campus vary a great deal both in quality and price. As mentioned above, The Annex is a lovely neighbourhood just north of the university full of brick row houses and is home to many profs and students. Totally walkable distance, close to the subway, quite safe for downtown, and within a stone's throw of commercial, restaurant-filled Bloor Street.

Try to take note of nearby grocery stores. I've found living on campus that the closest supermarkets tend to be smaller, over-priced, and void of selection. I've gotten into the habit of making a weekly trip up three stops to St. Clair West, where there's a Loblaws (major chain) immediately adjacent to the station. For fruits and veggies, I like to check out the street vendors along Spadina to the west of campus. There's also a pretty decent grocery store at College Park (Yonge and College) if you end up in the south east.

With regards to distance from campus, consider that you'll probably both want monthly transit passes if you'll be commuting on the TTC, which are currently over $100 each per month, even with the deal the student union has negotiated on student passes. You may just want to put that extra $200 toward getting an apartment closer to downtown. Bikes are also hugely popular with students.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Toronto!
posted by betafilter at 8:55 PM on June 2, 2008

Response by poster: Thank you everyone for all the excellent answers and kind welcomes. I was totally unaware of a lot of these things, so it's been very educational.

I'll check with my bank to see how wiring money to Canada would work; if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just write myself a check and live off my card for the first few weeks. Just to make sure, if I were to take out a bank draft or certified check to myself now, and then bring it with me to Canada, would it still take several weeks before I got the money?

Also, do Canadian landlords usually require you to show proof of funds, references, or that sort of thing?
posted by pravit at 9:16 PM on June 2, 2008

The TTC (subway/buses/streetcar) isn't 24 hours. I learned that the hard way. (On the other hand, owning a car downtown is probably more trouble than it's worth.)

A somewhat-more-than-minor correction: the subway doesn't run 24/7, but there are night bus routes that over when subway service ends, and some routes do have 24 hour bus service. The TTC's straight-out-of-the 90's website has more info.

As for housing, don't forget U of T's housing service. And if you need a place to stay while you find somewhere more permanent, I've actually got a furnished room for rent for July and August very close to U of T; you can send me a MeFiMail if you're interested!
posted by greatgefilte at 9:18 PM on June 2, 2008

Also, do Canadian landlords usually require you to show proof of funds, references, or that sort of thing?

I think most landlords will at least ask you to list your source of income, though they may not ask for proof (I've lived in three apartments in Toronto, two of which were managed by corporate-type management companies, and I don't think I ever had to supply actual proof. YMMV.)

Do you have any relatives or friends here in Canada who might be able to lay out the money for you? It would be relatively easy for them to pay your U of T bill through online banking in return for your bank draft travelers' cheques, etc.
posted by greatgefilte at 9:25 PM on June 2, 2008

Sorry, one last thing:

One other thing you should get quickly is your Health Insurance Card. I don't know about US Citizen, but as a non Canadian you may have a delay before the coverage kicks in (it is 3 months for me) so no need to wait.

As a foreign student at U of T, you'll get UHIP health coverage. I'm pretty sure you have to go to the International Student Centre to get it, and I think the coverage starts 20 days before the start of the term you're enrolled for. It's a bit annoying in that you can only use certain hospitals and doctors (i.e. the U of T health centre), but hopefully you won't need that too much! You'll probably also get supplemental insurance through the grad students' union or CUPE or one of those things.
posted by greatgefilte at 9:32 PM on June 2, 2008

Neiltupper, there may be many credit cards in circulation in Canada, but in my experience living in Ontario and working retail there, Canadians used debit much more, and credit much less, than Americans.
posted by LobsterMitten at 9:45 PM on June 2, 2008

I've moved a lot. Many landlords will want first and last months rent, and on the application: proof of employment or a co-signer, credit check, and references. Whether they actually check-up on them is a dice roll. Dress respectably, be polite, and you might have less problem securing something.

Also check-out apartments thoroughly, roaches can be a problem in some buildings in Toronto. There was one I lived in where you'd encounter them in the kitchen, and at the basement elevators where parking was, they literally covered the walls. People would politely ignore them while waiting for the lift, and spraying notices were common. Another building nearby, slightly more upscale, never saw one.
posted by hungrysquirrels at 5:36 AM on June 3, 2008

Welcome to Toronto. I've been a grad student at U of T for two years, and like many others here, would be happy to be of help in making your move a good one. Mefimail me anytime, I'm on campus every weekday.

My advice on apartment hunting:

* Craigslist is king, but things move FAST so you'll have to be in town to stand a chance.
* Related to above: get a bicycle, ride it. Good bike shops in Toronto are discussed here.
* Don't rent in cheap apartment towers - Two friends of mine have had insect problems living in them.
* Don't rent from TransGlobe. They're dicks. Can't speak of other property firms, but I have my suspicions.
* Beware of renting closer than one block to Spadina between College and Queen St., there's tons of street produce markets there, which makes for insect problems in nearby houses. (that being said, I'm not scared of shopping there - the shops move a lot of product!)
* If you can stand living in a basement apartment, you can get one cheap. The glut of one-bedroom condos in Toronto is still driving down prices. Beware of basement apartments with below-ground-level windows - big thunderstorms in the summer can flood undersized drains.

My advice on grad student-ing at U of T:

* I've never been that impressed with the GSU pub, myself. For drinks with new labmates, I usually end up at O'Grady's (it's not perfect, but it's nearby)
* For buying lunch around campus, you can eat from U of T food services (meh), food trucks on St. George St. (greasy!), or take a short walk off campus. My favorites: Pho Hung, The Red Room, or the Est West stall in the food court under the Ontario Power Generation building.
* If you want to get social with minimum effort, join up with some of the intramural sports clubs, or go check out Hart House's athletics programs.

There's also lots of advice in the archives that you might find handy.
posted by anthill at 7:15 AM on June 3, 2008 [2 favorites]

Oh - and if access to good grocery shopping is part of your apartment hunting criteria, that will narrow things down a bit. Toronto has many overpriced supermarkets downtown, the worst being Whole Foods, Dominion, Sobeys Express, or mini-markets like Kitchen Table. Anywhere with dense apartment or condo buildings will likely be stuck with these.

Farmer's markets are around, as are permanent markets like St. Lawrence. They're very very tasty but a bit on the expensive side. So is my personal favorite Fiesta Farms.

Cheap places to grocery shop in Toronto include Kensington Market (if you have time on your hands), the outdoor produce stalls (and underground supermarkets) on Spadina between College and Queen St., especially if you like Asian food. No Frills (Loblaws' down-market brand) is probably the best cheap supermarket here.
posted by anthill at 7:28 AM on June 3, 2008

Check out President's Choice banking

Up until yesterday, I'd have agreed with this. However, PC just fucked me on something and I'll now urge you not to use them. I did a balance transfer to their card (something I've done numerous times in the past without issue) and now, 6 months later, they're upping the interest from 3% to 20%. This may be normal for other cards, but not to PC. In fact, the previous balances that I've transfered are for the life of the debt unless I miss two payments (which I never do). After speaking with supervisors, they're saying they'll now extend the 3% for 6 more months but are refusing to honor the life of the loan thing even though the conversation where I made the transfer was recorded and it's clear what I agreed to and that the 6 mos promo time period was never mentioned by the rep who did the transfer.
posted by dobbs at 8:07 AM on June 3, 2008

Just to make sure, if I were to take out a bank draft or certified check to myself now, and then bring it with me to Canada, would it still take several weeks before I got the money?

If the check is drawn on a bank outside Canada, yes, it would still probably take some time.

One incredibly fast money-transfer method (albeit with a higher chance of fees) is to go into your Canadian bank, walk over to the ATM, withdraw money from your American account, walk up to the teller, and deposit the cash you just withdrew.
posted by oaf at 8:25 AM on June 3, 2008

Response by poster: Thanks for all the incredibly helpful advice! I'll keep it in mind when I look for an apartment. By the way, can you get Vietnamese sandwiches near campus?

Bank of America just got back to me and said you need to make international wire transfers in person, so I suppose I'll do the ATM-withdrawal-deposit thing - ATMs are actually supposed to give you pretty good exchange rates from what I recall.

Alternatively, it seems I can use my E-Trade online bank account to wire money to Canada, provided I have the ABA routing number (which appears to be a US thing, but upon further googling it seems the big Canadian banks have ABA routing numbers too). They also said they could transfer money if I faxed them the bank's SWIFT code.

Or maybe I'll try signing up for an RBC Centura account...

Thanks again everybody!
posted by pravit at 3:09 PM on June 3, 2008

Vietnamese sandwiches are big here. The are a few good places on Spadina, just north of Dundas, and one on Dundas, just east of Spadina, but I don't know the names. That's only about 10 minutes walk south. There are several "China" towns in Toronto, all of which seem to be pan SE Asian. U of T is just north or the biggest one. Toronto has great food.

Canadian banks do have ABA numbers. You can also have a relative do a transfer as soon as you have your account. My mom used to do this for me. RBC's the devil I know. They're all predatory.
posted by gesamtkunstwerk at 3:36 PM on June 3, 2008

P.S. Re neighbourhoods. Despite what other Canadians say, Toronto is just not that dangerous, and is generally easy to live. The only really terrifying places are in the north of the city, or public housing.

Most graduate students try to live in the Annex, the neighbourhood around U of T, which is expensive, but saves on transportation and is generally a nice part of town. Just east of the Annex is the gayborhood and Cabbage town. I've heard complaints of bedbugs and roaches on the more affordable streets, so I might consider going west of U of T, or further east. I live east, in Riverdale, which I love, but it's hard to recommend a place not knowing you. It's about 30 minutes on foot/ bike.
posted by gesamtkunstwerk at 3:46 PM on June 3, 2008

Canadian banks do have ABA numbers.

Yes, but accounts held by regular consumers aren't going to be reachable by ACH from U.S. banks. The routing numbers on typical Canadian checking accounts aren't ABA numbers.
posted by oaf at 10:25 PM on June 3, 2008

Response by poster: Upon further research, I might end up using to do the transfer. I've read good things about it in other AskMe posts, and their exchange rates are a lot better than the bank rates. I also found a question from GuyZero asking almost the same thing.
posted by pravit at 11:47 PM on June 3, 2008 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Just as a followup, it was pretty simple and fast (about a week) to use XETrade to transfer between Bank of America and my new RBC account, and I got a better rate than RBC would have given me, so I'm happy.
posted by pravit at 1:36 PM on August 12, 2008

« Older Is there any actual sitting involved?   |   Help make a reality! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.