Can some recommend a good Tax Attorney in San Francisco?
June 2, 2008 10:40 AM   Subscribe

Can some recommend a good Tax Attorney in San Francisco?

I'm looking to consult with a tax attorney while I'm visiting San Francisco this week.
I don't know if this extra information is helpful but the questions will mainly be about Tax Havens and someone possibly revoking US Citizenship to go to a said tax haven.
posted by zephyr_words to Law & Government (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Not a specific individual, but you need either a large firm or an international boutique firm that will have the capacity to help on international taxation questions. This is a specialty field. You will want competence if citizenship is at issue. Some, mostly large, CPA firms also have this skill base to the extent the issues concern income taxation.

A good advisor can generally reduce your tax burden by more than their fee. The counter-intuitive conclusion is that the more you spend, the lower your total cost of expatriating. Good luck.
posted by Wagging Dog at 11:41 AM on June 2, 2008

Not all tax attorneys share the same base of experience. You'll need to provide more info about the situation you're hoping to address if you want a meaningful referral. The key info in this situation would likely be (1) the approximate net worth of th person in question and (2) what sort of income streams (e.g., compensation for services, investment returns, etc.) this person expects to have in the future. It sounds like an estate planning attorney might be the right fit, as they tend to be proficient in tax sheltering schemes.

The US generally makes it painful for weathly people to expatriate. For non-wealthy people, paying $600-1000/hr for competent advice in this area will be painful.

This may answer a few of your questions.
posted by dbolll at 11:51 AM on June 2, 2008

Response by poster: Thanks.

If it's of any help dboll we're talking about the net-worth being about 10 million of income a year and the situation would be not getting the income taxed right away so it could be invested and then given back and taxed once he wants to spend it.
From what I've read it seemed like the best way for this was for one person to move to a tax haven, have all of the companies income routed to the new individual and trusted to them. Then the person living in the states could be paid by them and just that % of the money they wanted would be taxed.
posted by zephyr_words at 2:25 PM on June 2, 2008

« Older The ALA took my baby away.   |   job offer ethical dilemma Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.