Setting hotkey in WinXP for adding 2nd monitor.

XP: I'd like a shortcut or hotkey that will instantly do what Control Panel > Display Properties > Settings > Select Monitor 2 > Extend my Windows Desktop (etc) does. [come inside, y'all, if you like]

I know I can get straight to that particular tab in Display Properties with the command or shortcut:
RUNDLL32 SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL DESK.CPL,@0,3
... but there is then still the need to click a few things. I turn this option on and off quite frequently depending what I'm doing, and it would be nice to have it instant. Lazy, huh?
posted by humuhumu to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Maybe you could use something like PowerStrip and bind a certain profile to a HotKey. Bit of a dirty solution though, granted.
posted by ed\26h at 3:52 PM on August 6, 2004

What kind of video card to you have? I'm pretty sure ATI cards/software have precisely this feature.
posted by Evstar at 4:09 PM on August 6, 2004

And here I came into the thread hot to show you that command. Anyhow, make a shortcut of that command you posted and place it somewhere unobtrusive in the Start Menu. Right-Click/Properties/Shortcut Key will do the trick.
posted by j.edwards at 4:31 PM on August 6, 2004

Response by poster: Ah, yes: but I want to get further than just showing that bit of the display properties. I want the shortcut or shortcut key to automatically select monitor 2 and then extend the windows desktop to it... So one click and poof - second monitor with exended desktop!
posted by humuhumu at 5:11 PM on August 6, 2004

I use a program called UltraMon for exactly this. It puts a taskbar notification icon next to the clock that you can double-click to enable/disable all monitors but the primary.
posted by m-bandy at 12:53 PM on August 7, 2004

This is very useful m-bandy and humuhumu, thanks! I constantly switch display profiles when docking/undocking my laptop and these tips will speed it up a lot.
posted by azazello at 10:58 PM on August 7, 2004

« Older Rent-a-Geek   |   Can you burp the alphabet? Newer »