Whats a good streaming source for Leopard?

What is a good icecast source client for leopard?

So I have recently begun trivia contests on some irc channels where i will host whoever wants to play some music and people will guess the song. I host these on my vps that runs icecast/shoutcast right now. Unfortunately i have yet to find a good program that will take the sound from my sound card on my mac and send it to my server for other people to listen too. When i was on windows i used oddcast. Anyone know of a good program for this? Also it need to not tell everyone what song is playing.

bonus: i was having trouble googling this, if you find one that way let me know you search terms.
posted by DJWeezy to Technology (6 answers total)

Best answer: I use nicecast. Not free, but I spent an age trying the various mac options, and this allows you to capture the sound from your mac. If you can find it, there's also a piece of software called macAmpLite which may do what you want. It's a bitch to set up though. There are some instructions with other options here.
posted by seanyboy at 11:50 PM on May 21, 2008

Response by poster: i saw nicecast but it seemed it could only act as a server, i have a server i want to send my sound to it.
posted by DJWeezy at 12:26 AM on May 22, 2008

You have your hosted server.
nicecast takes the sound from your local mac and transmits that to your local server where it is broadcast to those who listen.

I feel there's maybe some conflict of terminology here, but from what I can tell, nicecast will do what oddcast does.
posted by seanyboy at 12:47 AM on May 22, 2008

Nicecast can cast to a remote server as well. I did it for years.
posted by mkb at 6:13 AM on May 22, 2008

Response by poster: Alright I just hadn't found the external server part in nicecast. If nothing better/free pops up i guess i will buy it.
posted by DJWeezy at 9:52 AM on May 22, 2008

For completeness, to add your external server,
1) Click Window --> Show Server
2) Make sure the drawer on this window is open (This is the little button at the top of the screen below where it says server)
3) Click [+] to add a new server.
4) Enter your server details.
5) Make sure that your new server is the one that has its radio button checked.
posted by seanyboy at 11:42 AM on May 22, 2008

« Older Mystery song   |   Better quality Taxi Driver image needed! Newer »