Tabbed Browsing in IE

I am doing some temporary work in an office, and I am stuck using Internet Explorer. Is there some kind of Java applet I can use to replicate tabbed browsing? I can't install any kind of extension for IE, so thats a no go.
posted by Orange Goblin to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

If the PC is running XP and you can install (or get installed) SP2, then IE itself will have what you want.
posted by billsaysthis at 10:58 AM on July 28, 2004

Failing that you should be able to install CrazyBrowser. It doesn't require administrator provileges to install, so their shouldn't be any technical problems to getting it on your PC. Basically it uses the IE engine with added tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking. Seeing as it uses the IE engine, it will use the exsisting IE settings for it's connection to the network, should be tinker free.
posted by mnology at 11:11 AM on July 28, 2004

You could get a usb flash drive (thumbdrive) and just install Firefox on it. That's what I do.
posted by bshort at 2:19 PM on July 28, 2004

billsaythis: er...are you saying that SP2 includes tabbed browsing? Because, well...I don't think it does.
posted by bingo at 7:31 PM on July 28, 2004

bingo: I am sure that I've read in many places that it does.
posted by billsaysthis at 10:00 PM on July 28, 2004

Like I said, it's not my PC so I can't just install browser extensions, as other people using it will notice...SP2 is also out of the question, and I can't afford a USB drive. So I'm screwed?
posted by Orange Goblin at 1:09 AM on July 29, 2004

You might want to check out Sleipnir, a browser that runs on top of IE. It's Japanese, but there's an English version (click the English link at the top of the page for an Excite.com gobbledygook translation). The version I tried out last year didn't require installation, just plant it somewhere and run, and it saved state information in INI files, so there was no registry pollution (in case that's changed recently, here's a direct link to the old version). Looking at the directory I unpacked it to, the size of the file suite is 1.3 megs -- you may be able to run Sleipnir from a floppy.
posted by nikzhowz at 4:01 AM on July 29, 2004

Some other browsers that use the IE engine (besides CrazyBrowser and Sleipnir) are Maxthon (formerly MyIE2) and Avant Browser.
posted by kindall at 8:52 AM on July 29, 2004

« Older Rejecting bogus "mail returned" email   |   How can I keep the rubber feet on my laptop? Newer »