Bittman Recipe Reminder

Can someone help me remember a recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian?

I am away from my apartment, and I want to make the Sweet Potato and Qunioa salad recipe from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'm pretty sure it's in the salads section.

I just need a refresher on the more subtle ingredients and method. If someone could put a bare-bones version of the recipe up, I would be most appreciative. Gracias!

hope this is ok legal-wise
posted by milestogo to Food & Drink (5 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Try "Search Inside" the book on Amazon. I searched for "quinoa" and the recipe appears on page 84. I would link directly to the page but I don't think Amazon's URLs allow for that.
posted by bcwinters at 8:13 AM on April 24, 2008 [1 favorite]

Quinoa and Sweet Potato Salad

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Black pepper and sea salt, to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 tsp. organic lemon juice

• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Place the quinoa and vegetable stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the stock is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
• Coat the diced sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and the pepper, salt, and cayenne. Transfer to a sheet pan and roast until crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool.
• In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice and the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Stir in the diced sweet potatoes and the quinoa and serve.

Makes 4 servings
posted by liketitanic at 8:14 AM on April 24, 2008

That's slightly different, I see now. Sorry!
posted by liketitanic at 8:16 AM on April 24, 2008

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp. balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup minced parsley or chives (garnish)
Black pepper and sea salt, to taste

there, those are the Bittman ingredients.
posted by liketitanic at 8:18 AM on April 24, 2008

thanks everyone!
posted by milestogo at 12:07 PM on April 24, 2008

« Older How to set up a server room with a 10 TB rack?   |   While my guitar gently weeps... for me? Newer »