What are good Social Networking Solutions?

If I wanted to build a Social Networking Site, what are some of the software options out there that I should explore?

Let me refine social networking some, I am interested in technology that can network people, similar to Myspace, Facebook or LinkedIn.

Are the any companies that sell this kind of ability? What are some of the better open source solutions?
posted by prk14 to Technology (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

ning is a sort of software as a service-ish solution.

drupal is a CMS (content management system) that supports a lot of community-ish stuff and might suit your needs as well, especially if you want to be able to host it yourself, customize it yourself, etc.
posted by twiggy at 1:10 PM on April 16, 2008

Bevey is an open source solution that seems pretty good. Though, I'm pretty sure he's working on a new version, so you may want to take that into consideration.
posted by inigo2 at 1:11 PM on April 16, 2008

Seconding ning.
posted by M.C. Lo-Carb! at 1:44 PM on April 16, 2008

Last week.
posted by These Premises Are Alarmed at 1:53 PM on April 16, 2008

CrowdVine is also an open source solution.
posted by WizKid at 8:23 AM on April 17, 2008

« Older Shopping in Beijing?   |   Have I offended Google? Newer »