NYC Lunch

Where should I take my sister for a nice weekday lunch in New York City?

I want to take my little sister to lunch for her birthday this Thursday, but most of the restaurants I've really been wanting to try are dinner only. I'm much less familiar with good lunch spots. I want it to be something very tasty and reasonably trendy/cool/nice/whatever - it's for her birthday, so it ought to have some specialness. I'd spend up to $60-70, but probably not much more. She's too young to drink, so that's not any issue. I'm interested in all sorts of food except Italian.

As for area, let's say below ~23rd St. in Manhattan, or perhaps somewhere in Brooklyn (though reasonably easily accessible as I need to get back uptown not too long after lunch).
posted by ecab to Food & Drink (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Prune - 54 East 1st
Sobaya - 229 East 9th

Also, if you go to Menupages you can search by neighborhood. Here is the list for the West Village and East Village. I would suggest checking the comments made on Menupages with the ones on Yelp. But I'm a huge fan of Prune and Sobaya.
posted by spec80 at 3:42 PM on April 15, 2008

If you don't mind going to Columbus Circle, Jean Georges is super-fancy and has a very reasonable lunch ($28 for two plates).
posted by subtle-t at 4:37 PM on April 15, 2008

Balthazar.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 4:44 PM on April 15, 2008 [1 favorite]

Prune, for sure. It's amazing.

Alternatively, try Snack. It's my favorite lunch spot in New York.
posted by minervous at 5:06 PM on April 15, 2008

I think Balthazar is a good suggestion if you want a cool celebrity sighting; I've never gone there and not seen a celebrity of some sort. Prune probably has better food, though. Definitely get reservations if you decide to do Balthazar.
posted by ch1x0r at 5:17 PM on April 15, 2008

I love Florent. Plus, it's closing forever this summer, better hurry and go.
posted by [NOT HERMITOSIS-IST] at 6:06 PM on April 15, 2008

Momofuku Ssam Bar on 2nd Av @ 13th St is delicious and interesting.
posted by moonmilk at 7:07 PM on April 15, 2008 [1 favorite]

I hosted a group for lunch last Dec. at
Le Pain Quotidien, in Union Square
38 East 19th Street (inside ABC Carpet and Home store)
Tel.: 212 673 7900

It was very good. Long communal tables (Euro-nostalgia, which is not an evil thing). Excellent service; nice breads and condiments on the table, decent wines. Prices moderate (not cheap by any means). The ABC store, by the way, is a trip. You can spend at least 30-45 min. walking around in it, looking at extremely fine wares and gifts, etc.

See website www.lepainquotidien.com: I'm not sure if the menu for this store (they are a chain) is findable.
posted by yazi at 7:43 PM on April 15, 2008

Bread Tribeca is a favorite of mine. The interior is very nice & they have a fabulous burger.

Another favorite, Jule's Bistro.

Hope your sister & you have a wonderful time wherever you go.
posted by Upal at 9:16 PM on April 15, 2008

Tabla is offering a lunch special.
posted by brujita at 10:34 PM on April 15, 2008 [1 favorite]

Bouley has fantastic deals on their lunch tasting menus.
posted by zap rowsdower at 10:37 PM on April 15, 2008

Fleur de Sel at 20th St offers a three course lunch at $29.
posted by hellopanda at 11:57 PM on April 15, 2008

Tamarind does lunch.
posted by lampoil at 7:50 AM on April 16, 2008 [1 favorite]

Jean-Georges has a great $28 tasting menu for lunch, and is one of the best fine-dining bargains in the city.
posted by chan.caro at 3:21 PM on April 16, 2008

Bouchon Bakery inside the Time Warner center has great sandwiches and the pastries and cookies are fantastic as well. I'll third Prune as well.
posted by blim8183 at 12:26 PM on April 29, 2008

« Older Am I a prude because I wanted to date for a month...   |   [HR / background checks] What exactly is a... Newer »