Help me AD with the best of them!

Active Directory Filter.... Anyone know of a good source for learning to deploy software via Active Directory?

I have read a bit on MS Tech Net, but still seem in the dark. I am looking for a good online step-by-step of going from having a msi to getting it out to certain users PC's.

Thanks Hive!
posted by keep it tight to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

There's not much to it, where are you having the issue? You may want to search for "Deploying software via GPO" where GPO is an Active Directory Group Policy object.

I think this TechNet article explains it well.
posted by Kupo? at 8:24 AM on March 31, 2008

Here are the basics.

You also may find a lot more flexibility with writing a batch file and putting that in the machine policy startup.
posted by damn dirty ape at 9:18 AM on March 31, 2008

Different software have different procedures for installing via Group Policy. (It's not strictly deployed via Active Directory.) I suggest finding out how to deploy Office with Group Policy and running through it. It will give you a good understanding of how it works, including how some applications have to be packaged for deployment. This will show you how to do it fairly simply. ;-)
posted by tcv at 10:04 AM on March 31, 2008

Response by poster: Ape - Thanks, your link proved helpful, however, what do you do with applications that require inputs during the setup? the app I tested wanted a path to a db during the setup and since it never prompted me to put it in, it failed...

Thanks again to everyone who answered....
posted by keep it tight at 12:46 PM on March 31, 2008

« Older Following up on resumes   |   Who voices the free iPod banners? Newer »