What's Up With AdBlock Plus?

I installed Adblock Plus on my PC and it blocks virtually all ads. It's great. But, when I installed it in the same way on my MacBook at work, I does nearly nothing. Can anybody tell me what's up, and how I can make Adblock Plus work on my Mac?
posted by partner to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Are you subscribed to a filterset at home but not at work? Are you sure Adblock Plus is set to active (red statusbar icon) at work?
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 7:38 PM on March 21, 2008

Works fine on my mac.
Have you restarted Firefox since installation?
Are you using Firefox 3 ?
posted by sharkfu at 7:44 PM on March 21, 2008

Response by poster: Yes, I'm using Firefox 3 and have restarted it. Am I subscribed to a filterset? I thought that clicking on the filter would set it up to do the filtering, because I think that is all I did with my PC.
posted by partner at 7:49 PM on March 21, 2008

Best answer: Yes, I'm using Firefox 3 and have restarted it. Am I subscribed to a filterset? I thought that clicking on the filter would set it up to do the filtering, because I think that is all I did with my PC.

Open your list of Firefox add-ons, highlight Adblock Plus, and click "Options". You'll see a tree view of all active filters. Collapse the tree until only the category groups (Exception Rules, Advertisement Filters, etc.) are visible. Do you have a category entry marked "Filter subscription: Some filter subscription"?
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 8:18 PM on March 21, 2008

Not sure its your exact problem but install this anyway

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136
posted by bitdamaged at 8:24 PM on March 21, 2008

That function is already integrated into Adblock Plus.
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 8:35 PM on March 21, 2008

Response by poster: OK, Inspector Gadget that fixed it. Thank you!
posted by partner at 8:37 PM on March 21, 2008

Not only are filter subscriptions now a part of Adblock Plus itself, but the use of Filterset.G with Adblock Plus is now specifically deprecated.
posted by flabdablet at 10:29 PM on March 21, 2008 [1 favorite]

> is now specifically deprecated.

Thanks for that link — I hadn't even come across that little tidbit. I had been wondering why a few things had been acting quite wonky.
posted by WCityMike at 11:29 AM on March 22, 2008

« Older My mind says fraud, but that can't be right.   |   looking for an old relative Newer »