Broken Quicktime files make ASoze something something...

Quicktime files recorded with OnLocation CS3. Some work, but most don't. The file size is appropriate for their length, so I'm really hoping that there's

About a month ago, I streamed a couple days worth of interviews from an HVX-200 to my laptop hard drive via OnLocation. (I've done this 100x and never had a problem, it bears mentioning..) This time, however, a decent percentage of the files are unreadable by QuickTime, Final Cut, Premiere, etc..

I would've written these off as lost to the winds, but a few of them still have viewable video and audio, provided they are opened in OnLocation. Anyone have ideas to salvage any of this video? (Also, it seems as though only the files that were larger than 2GB have problems.) But the drive I recorded to was NTFS, and I have recorded large files prior to this. (I think...)

Addendum - I'm also willing to pay to have the files reconstructed, if I could just find someone skilled in this work. (It isn't exactly data recovery, because the files are intact.) I suspect that someone with intimate knowledge of QT, a hex editor, and a hundred years could do some real good with these files.)
posted by ASoze to Technology (3 answers total)

I just repaired a corrupted QT file yesterday using this method (keep your fingers crossed). You'll need QuickTime Pro, which is decent and reasonably priced.

1. Download VLC, install and open it

2. Go to File>Streaming/Export Wizard

3. Select "Transcode/Save to File"

4. Select a stream

5. On the Transcode screen, check only Video. For the codec, select MP4 (other selections like H.264 might work, this is what worked for me). Select the highest available bitrate.

6. On the Encapsulation Format screen, choose "MPEG4/MP4"

7. Choose a destination and filename

8. Finish

9. Now we're going to do the audio. Repeat the above steps, but on step 5, check only "Audio". Codec will be "uncompressed, integer". Highest available bitrate (this last part might be unnecessary because uncompressed audio has a set bitrate, but what the hell.)

10. Encapsulation Format page, choose "wav"

11. Choose a destination and filename

12. Finish

13. Open the two output files in QT

14. "Select All" on the wav file (Command-A) and then copy it (Command-V)

15. Go to the video file, Select All, then go to edit>Add To Movie

16. If both files exported properly, you'll have a QT file that works.

17. Save it and perhaps export it to another file as well (the exported file will more stable than one that's just sewn together).

P.S.-- you might try exporting both streams at the same time to get a working movie without getting QT Pro involved. This has never worked for me, but there's always a chance.
posted by Mayor Curley at 2:58 PM on March 20, 2008

"4. Select a stream" means "select the corrupted movie" in case that seems vague.
posted by Mayor Curley at 2:59 PM on March 20, 2008

Wow, Mayor. Incredibly detailed solution, and I'm forever grateful for it.

(It didn't work, but I am grateful.)
posted by ASoze at 6:06 AM on March 21, 2008

« Older What are some good books about Chicago?   |   I know the basics of money laundering. I need more... Newer »