What are the prices like for photo editing via Photoshop/Lightoom? How much could I charge?

A few models from OneModelPlace & ModelMayhem have contacted me in regards to photo editing. They are asking for my prices and for the last 6-7 years or so, I've always done them for free for my friends and people I worked with. What are the prices like for photo editing via Photoshop/Lightoom? How much could I charge?

I figured $14.99 per picture could be a start, but I'm not sure if I'm short changing myself. I know Photoshop upside down (10+ years of use) so I'd kindly like some pointers when it comes to charging clients.

posted by cheero to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

What kind of changes? Spot removing and such are going to be much cheaper than full-blown photo compositing.
posted by Memo at 11:15 AM on March 9, 2008

Response by poster: I found the following prices on another site:

Do you guys think they're fair?

CUSTOM PHOTO EDITING PRICE LIST
Photo on demand (any photo required for your project) 14.99
Removal or replacement of unwanted details or persons 19.99
Photo isolation (object extraction) 29.99
Imperfections / blemishes removal, digital rejuvenation 19.99
Damaged or old photo repair or restoration 29.99
Removal of time/date marks imprinted by photo camera 19.99
Lossless editing and resaving of JPEG photos 19.99
Photo to painting conversion (oil, watercolor, crayon) 49.99
Black & white to colour photo transformation (colouring) 149
Panoramic photo making (from up to 4 images) 49.99
Opening of the closed eyes (eye-wink removal) 49.99
Lens flaws correction (distortions, vignetting, c.a.) 19.99
Photo noise reduction (dots/grain reductions) 19.99
Correction of underexposed (silhouetted, dark) photos 19.99
Colour and tonal adjustment, up to 3 photos 19.99
Lossless red eye effect correction, up to 3 photos 19.99
posted by cheero at 11:18 AM on March 9, 2008 [2 favorites]

It's hard (impossible) to answer your question without seeing the pictures and knowing what they want done to them. I'd assume a baseline charge of something like $60 an hour if you don't have a more specific list as above.

$30 to restore an old photograph seems low, if the photograph has been ripped or torn. What do they want you to do?
posted by sully75 at 11:25 AM on March 9, 2008

Is pretty unfair, I think, for 3 mins of work (same with redeye and lossless editing). The rest are relatively fair, since they take skill and time.

I also agree with sully75's $60/hr. Probably easier to bill that way, too.
posted by cowbellemoo at 11:40 AM on March 9, 2008

Definitely bill by the hour, and definitely give them a time estimate beforehand. $50 or $60/hr., billed by the half-hour, sounds reasonable to me, with a 1/2 hr. minimum charge.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 12:08 PM on March 9, 2008

My graphic artist/designer friends who hire me to shoot pictures for them from time to time tend to bill around $75 per hour for photo retouching, with a one hour minimum fee.

I usually encourage my clients to use somebody like these folks for retouching. However, from time to time I end up doing it myself, On these occasions I invoice it just like they do.

Also, it's not so much the 3 minutes it takes to fix a problem as it is the combined time it takes to acquire the file, open it, fix it, save it, email or ftp it, invoice the job, etc. This is why it makes sense to have a minimum fee regardless of the specific fix(s) needed.
posted by imjustsaying at 12:10 PM on March 9, 2008

$60/hour for basic editing seems reasonable. I know some people who do freelance retouching (for professional photographers, higher end stuff than fixing red-eye obviously) and the going rate is more like $100-120+/hr.
posted by bradbane at 2:38 PM on March 9, 2008

I'm not in love with my own ethics in what I'm about to tell you...but post a fake 'call' for this exact work (on the forums of the sites you mentions) asking someone to doctor your photos. Other people will weight in with their prices and samples, and you can price yourself accordingly.
posted by filmgeek at 7:32 PM on March 9, 2008

Gotcha. Good point. I just think it's shifty to potentially charge $100 for a photo touchup before you've left the RAW converter. : /
posted by cowbellemoo at 6:47 AM on March 12, 2008

« Older I need my Guitar Hero   |   ch-ch-ch-changes Newer »