Simple online backup for a small business server

What's the best online backup solution for my ReadyNAS NV+?

I'm looking for a good way to backup my small business ReadyNAS NV+ online, in case the office explodes. What's the easiest way to do this? My criteria are as follows:

- simple to use. I'd like this to run from the ReadyNAS NV+ itself; I don't want a solution that requires a separate PC doing the backup.

- can run on an automatic schedule from the ReadyNAS (so it can automatically run at 2am to update the backup while we are all snoozing peacefully in our beds).

- easily accessible. If the office does explode, I'd like to be able to access the data easily from a remote location (assuming I wasn't in the office when it exploded).

- Low cost. I don't mind spending a bit for something that works, but we're a small company and can't afford to build our own data center deep in the amazon jungle.

- We are currently looking at about 1 Terabyte of data, but that could get bigger, so the ability to expand is also required.
posted by baggers to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is just a wee bit ironic considering your criteria. Rates are pretty decent and it's robust.
posted by furtive at 12:21 PM on February 27, 2008

Jungle Disk + Amazon s3
posted by sharkfu at 12:24 PM on February 27, 2008

Is there an easy way to replicate your NAS onto jungle disk while minimizing transfer?
posted by fusinski at 12:50 PM on February 27, 2008

Sorry, I just realized you said you didn't want a solution that requires a separate PC. Please ignore my jungle disk post. I'm not sure how to run the backup from the ReadyNAS, but I've been happy with Amazon s3 if you can find a way.
posted by sharkfu at 12:59 PM on February 27, 2008

Response by poster: Sharkfu; you're forgiven, especially if you can think of a way to access and use S3 straight from the readyNAS ;-)
posted by baggers at 1:13 PM on February 27, 2008

It would be great if the ReadyNAS could do a delta sync with some offsite storage like JungleDisk. Perhaps we ask too much? :P
posted by fusinski at 1:30 PM on February 27, 2008

This post at the official infrant forums shows that many people are wanting to be able to backup to s3, but there appears to be no PC-less solution right now.
posted by sharkfu at 3:41 PM on February 27, 2008

« Older electrical help   |   Getting around the "center" of Europe. Newer »