Housewarming gifts in Burlington, VT?

What recommendations do you have for a housewarming gift in Burlington, VT?

After 20+ years of apartment living, my sister and brother-in-law are moving from NYC to Burlington, VT, and are closing on their house this Friday. I'd like to send them something, but I'm in Minneapolis. Other than fedexing a bottle of champagne, a set of screwdrivers and a flashlight, can someone recommend a local place that might help me to get them a gift? I'm not sure that I want to go the maple syrup & cheddar cheese route, but I'm open to any (good/tasty/handy/fun) ideas.
posted by Read to Shopping (7 answers total)

Personalized doormat? This has the added benefit of exponentially increasing NYC to VT culture shock. Also, useful.
posted by mozhet at 8:43 AM on February 25, 2008

Best answer: A gift certificate to the BEST PIZZA place in the Burlington - the American Flatbread Company. I had dinner there back in July and I still dream about it. It would be great for them to go there after a hard day of unpacking and just relax.
posted by HeyAllie at 8:48 AM on February 25, 2008

Response by poster: I hadn't thought of restaurant certificates. Any other suggestions of food places?
posted by Read at 8:59 AM on February 25, 2008

Best answer: A gift certificate to Leunig's Bistro.
posted by thomas144 at 9:11 AM on February 25, 2008

Best answer: A membership to a local CSA, so they can have fresh produce all year and support a local farm. It'll be a great way for them to meet people as well. Check here for listings.
posted by Framer at 9:31 AM on February 25, 2008

My first thought was Frog Hollow. It is a store in downtown Burlington that has lots of art by local artists.

The artist Sabra Fields makes beautiful prints of Vermont.

If you want food gifts from the area, Shelburne Farms has an online store. I also recommend that your sis and brother-in-law visit - it is beautiful there.
posted by Shebear at 9:52 AM on February 25, 2008

Silver Maple. Best art place in Burlington.
posted by k8t at 2:43 PM on February 25, 2008

« Older Help me, Obi Lawn; you're my only hope   |   sexy parlor games Newer »